• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105s - Stackable?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have six more 105s to haul from Hooks 520 miles round trip, don't mind one at a time for the specialty/covered ones but if I pull the wheels off one and put a couple of parallel 8x8s for the hubs to sit on can I stack one 105 in the bed inside another 105 and cut my towing in half? All of the ones I am picking up are fresh out of rebuild rails, bows and covers still bundled in the bed, I don't want to bugger them up in transport. However, I picked up my sewing trailer yesterday and it was pretty beat up from the photos, GL is really jamming them around, mine had been hit on one corner of the insert as well as a fork mangling one of the fender wells, like you could pick up one by the fender, stupid or couldn't care less?
James G.

54reo

As I recall, the older TM for the M105 showed them stacked for transport, with the upper one being inverted. (i.e. the bed rails of both trailers were in contact with one another).

I think Kenny had a scanned picture of this.

What you are suggesting is very do-able though, and probably what I would be doing if it were me.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are pretty flexible since I am showing good faith on picking them up, still a little mean though! I am heading down this Tuesday and Thursday ,of next week, they really try to push you through so I am going to have to be quick on pulling the tires and have the dunnage ready to mount in the trailer quickly, for them to be open to helping me mount the trailers. Then when I get to the cabin I won't have an easy way of dismounting the trailers since my back hoe can't lift that much and my wrecker is at home, may be a 123 mile road trip for the wrecker in the near future!
James G.

ARYankee

If it's closer for now, you can drag them all to my house and store them. If that would make it easier for you. I would help you get a couple with my deuce but I have to work on Tuesday and Thursday. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone thanks for the help, Jason I am thinking if I combine the weight of your trailer and two M105s I will be over my tow capacity. I am going down to the cabin Monday and do some measuring, I think if I can get the body of the second 105 high enough to clear the bed rail of the carrying 105 they should ride just fine with no damage to either of them. I just hope they are in the same shape as the photos I based my purchase on. Trailers really take a beating down at Hooks, they are pressed for space so they get pushed together and bumped pretty often! While I was picking up my Sewing trailer I got a quick look my 105 with the fiberglass insert, after they took the photos with the back doors open they failed to hook the tailgate back up, it had another 105 pushing the down tailgate under my trailer. None of the forklift drivers would fess up to jamming my trailer, big surprise!
James

Mark2X2

Hauled mine this way

I have six more 105s to haul from Hooks 520 miles round trip, don't mind one at a time for the specialty/covered ones but if I pull the wheels off one and put a couple of parallel 8x8s for the hubs to sit on can I stack one 105 in the bed inside another 105 and cut my towing in half? All of the ones I am picking up are fresh out of rebuild rails, bows and covers still bundled in the bed, I don't want to bugger them up in transport. However, I picked up my sewing trailer yesterday and it was pretty beat up from the photos, GL is really jamming them around, mine had been hit on one corner of the insert as well as a fork mangling one of the fender wells, like you could pick up one by the fender, stupid or couldn't care less?
James G.
rumplecat
Don't know if you call this stackable, but we hauled 4)105's & 1)101 when I picked up my trailers from Camp Ripley to Washburn WI. The GL guy said there big fork lift was down, so we loaded on the center mount trailer. Our lowboy is 10' wide, didn't want to take it out of state any way, permits ect ect.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/38984-got-my-trailers.html

Alredneck

Banned
If you had a 40ft gooseneck you could haul no less than 5 at a time. Ive seen folks stack these all kinda ways, but the pics from earlier look way more safer. Goodluck with the recovery!