• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1061a1

captcarc

I just won an auction for an M1061A1 5-ton flat bed trailer. I will tow it home 200 miles with my M35A3. What tips can you offer? That trailer doesn't require the hand brake on the steering column, does it? Being a newbie deuce owner, what test(s) can I perform on my deuce to determine the airbrake system's readiness? In case of brake system problems, can the empty trailer be towed without trailer brakes? I will be studying deuce and trailer manuals more in depth, but any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jeepsinker

You will most likely find that your truck actually stops better with this trailer attached. Mine sure does. If working properly the brakes on these trailers are awesome.
And yes, it can be towed without brakes.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
200 miles is chump change. I did over 10 x that last year in one trip, one way.

I will ditto what jeepsinker said. Only issue I (emphasis "I") found are the trailer is heavy and the other is the tiedown points. The trailer is 96 inches wide so keep that in mind. You will need to mount tiedown points and the area over the wheelwell is solid. It can still be done.

captcarc

Thanks Jeepsinker. I appreciate your earlier great points about the trailer and for clarifying the tie-down questions. So, I don't need the handbrake lever on the steering column, right? And I connect both brake lines with the gladhands? Thanks.

Jeepsinker

Correct, and correct. This trailer is plug and play with the deuce. Hook up and go. Just be sure not to cross up the air lines or you'll go nowhere fast. I suggest stopping ten miles or so down the road from where you pick the trailer up and feel the rims by hand for temperature if you don't have an infrared thermometer. The brakes can stick on these and a hot drum will cause a tire to blow. If you have a stuck brake it will show within ten miles or so.

captcarc

Thanks again, Jeepsinker...great tip! Any quick tips for a stuck brake? Are there exposed linkages/pivots that I can work with a spray of WD40? Maybe a preventative spray before the 10 mile trial? Thanks!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Yep, what he said. You could get the trolley brake (steering column mounted air brake) but only necessary if you want to lay black marks. It is a nice to have (not a requirement) but there are many, many, many more nice things to get before finding and paying for a trolley brake.

I asked this same question years ago and Kenny set me straight to not shell out the bucks for one and I still haven't.

captcarc

I will be picking up my newly-purchased trailer with my deuce in 5 days. After reading both the M35A1 Operation Manual and the M1061A1 Trailer Manual, it appears that I will have to cross the brake air lines. The truck manual says the driver's side is "service" and passenger side is "emergency" while the trailer manual says its lines are, driver's side - "emergency" and passenger's side - "service". The trailer may have painted glad hands, but my deuce does not. Thoughts? Thanks!

welldigger

I can't help you much with the trailer but you are correct on the deuce. The drivers side has the service brake air line and the passenger side has the emergency air line.

quickfarms

Always hook up air lines based on function.

Be shure to open the air valves on the deuce.

Make sure the tank drain on the trailer is not stuck.

The trailer brakes work off of the truck brakes. Keep an eye on your air pressure because the trailer has double air actuators and is larger than the deuce is rated to tow.

All of your air brake questions are covered in the CDL training. Be sure to do a good pre trip.

There is a good air brake manual that is available on line, it is a Canadian publication.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks