• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M108 blew up/recovery(fixed)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Stretch is loaded up and heading home and I followed him out of the show to move my civy vehicle to other parking to wait for my wife. I forgot my phone and then Gimp calls her. I called Gimp back and he said Stretch only made a few miles down the road and he may have a thrown rod. He wants to know if they can tow it to my place. No problem.

I headed home after we were done with everything and waited for the pair to roll in around 4:30PM. We put it inside the barn and Stretch proceeded to drop the oil pan for a look see.

That is the liner laying in pieces..........

Here are the pics.

Dennis had his other truck driven down the 130 miles from home by Dan to tow his 108 home. They got in after midnight with yet another story...........

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M108 blew up/recovery

Went to SW's place for the MVPA show, made it to the show, then on the way home the truck blew. Was about 10 miles towards home, pulled in a gas station for some fuel. While in the parking lot, moving around at idle, the engine started knocking loudly and missing. Turned it off and looked around, everything looked ok. Cut the air compressor belt to make sure it was not the problem. Restarted the truck and still banging. Good oil pressure also.

So call gimp, he is still at the show. He comes out and we tow the truck back to SW's place. I call Dan (rainbowboxer) to bring my M35 so we can tow the truck home. I'm about 4 hours away by deuce.

Dropped the pan and the piston liner had shattered on #2 piston. Oil pan was full of broken liner pieces. 93 Hercules motor, was new when I put it in. Maybe 5,000 miles on it.

Towing home was fun. Headlight switch was acting up, had to use a spare. Transfer case was puking oil. And had to change the front tire on the M35. But truck is home.

Not sure what the plan is now. Gimp has a LDS motor with a bad crank here, may do a rebuild on it. I have a white motor in a can, don't know if it's any good. Also may pull the remaining rod and piston out of the bad bore so I can run it as a 5 cylinder around the yard.

This kills my plans for GA rally. Don't have time and money right now to do a complete rebuild of a motor, and that's the only way I'm going to fix it. So for MV's I'll still go to local shows to see folks, but semi-retired for a while otherwise.

Dennis

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully it will be back up and running before Haspin 2012. Sorry to hear the truck took a dump, those M108s are pretty schweet, as the Greaseman used to say...

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang man, I enjoyed the videos on that truck and kept thinking she'd go far! Time for that LDS swap. At least you wern't on the highway when that happened.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking the bore for the liner is shot, with how it came out of there. And may have pieces of it on top of the piston, banging the valves/head. Leaning towards a rebuild. A LDS rebuild...

For now I'm going to try and get the rod and piston out, and run it as a 5 cylinder yard truck. Might be a while before I even do that. Would need a junk rod, to cut down and install, keep the oil pressure up.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supposed to call Jim in a couple of weeks, he may have a different one.

The truck we are thinking about we would have to buy to get parts off. It's in the classifieds here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I'm a thousand miles from nowhere but I have some stuff here too as far as motors.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After nearly a year, looks like the M108 is fixed. Didn't have oil filters for it, so waiting on that, everything else is done.

Dan (therainbowboxer) came over Saturday and we spent the next 11 hours working. Pulled the old engine, transmission, and radiator, swapped everything over to the new engine, and set it back in the truck. I spent all day Sunday hooking everything up, and repairing a couple small things.

Smashed one copper line for the airshift, otherwise uneventful replacement. Engine came from Ferro, military had put it into a truck, but never hooked it up. Ferro finished hooking it up and tested it out. Everything points to this being a new motor. 1991 engine. Oil was still clean, still had paint on the belts, new starter, turbo, alt was on it, took off and gave back to Ferro.

Used oil pan from my old motor because other one was smashed. Then we sat it down too early at one point and smashed the new pan. So that had to be fixed.

Hopefully I will be able to start it up tonight. Dan has pic's, see if I can get him to post them.