• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211

Dieselholic92

Here are some pictures of an M211 civil defense that my dad picked up a few years ago and used the rear rear axle for parts. It apparently was used locally. I don't know much about the M211. Can anyone tell me more about the transmission in this truck?

Attachments

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check this out:

hydraTrns

Do you know the history? What fire dept had it? Mine came from a FD in northern MN. Same color, same CD sticker... Interesting.

What do you plan to do with it? Did it run? I appreciate the pictures!

135gmc

If you start parting it out, the exhaust manifold is getting real hard to find - don't throw it in the scrap pile until you see if anyone needs one.

Dieselholic92

Check this out:

hydraTrns

Do you know the history? What fire dept had it? Mine came from a FD in northern MN. Same color, same CD sticker... Interesting.

What do you plan to do with it? Did it run? I appreciate the pictures!

I'm assuming that the Marshall fire department here in south western Minnesota had it. in the door jamb it has Marshall FD written and some numbers. Not sure on the plans yet, it didn't run but i don't think it's stuck.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read "part out" and got all excited. I looked on the map, you are 5 hours away from me. I pictured myself picking it up in the morning! :p I also have family in Tracy MN so if you need some parts maybe I can help. I found a couple parts trucks in my area and feel the need to aquire one. If you have the desire/funds it looks worth saving. Could do a bobber???? Maybe a engine/trans/transfer case out of a chevy pick up. I don't remember, the mud boggers used to flip the front pumpkin I think.
Maybe easier finding a rear axle?

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transmissions

What I can tell you about the transmission is . . . . . . . . . This was in the article that was linked above.

"""""for over 30 years we have used hy-tran which is the International Harvester hydraulic drive transmission oil"""""""

and I just found out today!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I used straight weight oil.......as a flush ......and will entertain the idea of dumping and doin it again.

If you save it you'll get years of wrenching enjoyment not to mention weeks of Technical Manual research.

Thanks for the pics. x.x.x .......real nice to see them being ''unveiled''.

Dieselholic92

All i know is it has a heater, never really looked at it that much. So are you originally from the tracy area? or just have family there? I will let you know if we part it out. Odds are we'll just sell it like it is for a parts truck or something.

Gunfreak25

I would love to have the hard top on that thing! Seems 99% of all fire department GMC's are on the east side of the U.S.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks