• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Insurance in Pennsylvania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akicita

Pennsylvania seems to be tough state to insure an M35A2 in. I had no luck looking for a company that wants my business. I contacted the companies that insure my other vehicles and several other companies that some of you mentioned in other threads. It's always been the same story: First they don't know what I'm talking about when I mention the M35A2, then they realize that this truck weighs more than 12,000 lbs, and they give me their version of "No way, Jose." Can anyone offer some advice, please ?

I'm 55, have a clean driving record, good credit rating, no accidents, have a PA class "B" license (for vehicles weighing more than 26,000 lbs), and want to insure an M35A2 (not bobbed) for personal use (not for commercial use). I'm in Southeastern PA. I never had this problem with any of the non-MVs I insured over the years. What's wrong with this picture ?
Jeff

rockman

Jeff, when I lived in PA, I had my M35 with antique tags and paid about $300 per year with Erie. It was a commercial policy due to weight but was noted for personal use only. Why the heavy weight for your plate?

Bill

Coal Cracker

I have an Antique tag, no inspection, and am insured through Hagerty.
I have all of my other classic and antiques insured through them, they are full aware what an M35A2 is, and had no problemo insuring me. I only use ocassionally for pleasure.
I've also contacted my State Farm agent before hagerty and they we're going to give me a policy for approx 300 a year, hagerty is $75.00 full coverage and agreed value.

Akicita

Thank you all for your feedback. I'll try Erie and Hagerty next. I've never heard of Katz.
I don't want antique plates because I want to be free to actually use the truck for my landscaping projects around my house, haul lumber from the lumberyard, etc.

I'll post a follow-up later. Maybe this thread will help the next guy who runs into this problem.

Happy trucking !
Jeff

Last edited:

gunboy1656

I have regular plates on my truck. I am rated by the state as a class 6 truck, up to 17,000 pounds.

My truck is regular plate, insurance is commercial (due to size)

hof3414

I live near Pittsburgh and my truck is registered class 7 with regular plates. Erie insurance is about $260.00 for the year with liability only.

Chevyman_15237

I'm going to be purchasing a '68 M35A2 deuce off of a friend here once the snow melts... shouldn't it be a class 8? I want to do regular registration so I can haul with it here and there... It would be nice to get away with the $75 classic/antique plates but the fine is not worth it!

-BMarree

gunboy1656

Should it be a class 8, yes. does it have to be, NO. I was asked how much weight i needed it for and told them. the lowest i could go, and thats what I got.

Man, there are a bunch of people very close to me that I didnt know.

Wozdirt

I am South of Pittsburgh. Mine is registered for 18000 GVW with truck tags. (not antique or classic). I added mine to my existing Travelers insurance policy without a problem. Not sure if they really know what the truck is though.

hof3414

When I went to buy my truck it was registered class 8. When the lady told me registration was $400 a year I was a little shocked (first time registering anything besides pick up truck). I asked if I needed to stay at that class rating. She said I could drop one class and it would save me $50 and still be legal up to 21,000# I believe. So thats why mine is class 7 instead of class 8. Also she said I could always go back up if I needed to.

duecedodger

Hi guys I also live in PA and am thinking about getting a M35A2C wo/w, The problem I might have with insurance is that I'm 19 no accidents, but I alittle worried about what they would say since of my age. Also I have Erie for my car and that is who im going to try to get the deuce insured by. any thoughts on how age affects insurance for a vehicle this size would be helpful.
Thanks Frank.

duecedodger

Hi guys I also live in PA and am thinking about getting a M35A2C wo/w, The problem I might have with insurance is that I'm 19 no accidents, but I alittle worried about what they would say since of my age. Also I have Erie for my car and that is who im going to try to get the deuce insured by. any thoughts on how age affects insurance for a vehicle this size would be helpful.
Thanks Frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.