• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Adventure

Navo

Some of you may remember I was on the hunt for a M35A3. Well soon after that thread I located a M35A3 in West Virginia. I contacted the seller and after numerous emails and questions we got the ball rolling.

I work a 3 week schedule and have off 10 days. Of course the seller and I came to an agremment right before I had to work my 3 week shift... So the wait was, well how should I say....LONG.

During this period that I was working the seller and I were in constant commnication. I would have a question and he would always get back to me with an answer (I had many since this was my 1st MV purchase). He really made me comfortable and was always going above and beyond.

So after the long wait, the time came. My dad and I drove from Chesapeake, VA to West Virginia. We left Virginia at 4:30am and arrived in West Virginia around 11am. Only one stop for gas and McDonalds!

We were looking for the address but found out its pretty easy to find the location with a big green military vehicle outside! When we pulled up the seller came out and greeted us. After we shook hands and introduced ourselves he went and showed us the truck. He did the full tour, showed us EVERYTHING and again answered all our questioins.

So after we went over everything it was time for the drive! Cranked it up, parking brake off, shifter to drive, and away we went. Drove around with the seller and my dad for about 30 mins. When we returned back to the owners location we signed the paper work etc.

After we sat around and talked some more, my Dad and I decided we could start heading back to Virginia. We had to return the rental car so I decided I would drive the rental and my Dad would drive the Truck (Im better running the GPS on my phone) We loaded up and started our 9 mile trip to the Rental place. When we pulled up all the employee's had there faces pressed up into the windows! I told them I returning the big green truck in the parkin lot HAHA!

While I was returning the rental, my Dad was swaping our bags, tools, rags, etc from the rental to the back of the Truck. When I came outside Dad had the truck loaded up and was ready to go. So we started the 360 mile trip back to Virginia! We drove some interstate, highway, backroads, and town streets and we ended up in Danville, VA.

When we arrived in Danville we decided we would fuel up now instead of the morning. We fueled up at a "Pilot" gas/diesel station. We drove approx 150 miles not counting the miles we drove during the test drive and it took 20 gallons. After fueling we drove to the hotel and parked her in the back. We requsted a room on the back of the hotel so that we could keep and eye on her. We grabed some dinner at a local BBQ place next to the hotel and then decided that we would get up at 4AM to continue the drive.

The next morning we got up and loaded the truck again with our bags, tools, etc. Checked the oil (didnt burn a drop), checked lights, and did a final once over before we cranked her back up. We opened the front windows and rolled downs the side ones. Took the parking brake off, put her in drive and away we went!

While we were driving we stated talking and figured we would try to go to DMV once we got back. Well after further discusion we decided we would hit a DMV on the way! So we located one on the Ipad and headed that way. An hour later we arrived at DMV. From the time we walked into the DMV till the time we came out with a new title and license plates was 30 mins! Thats the FASTEST time I have ever heard of with DMV. And they were actually VERY nice!

After we finsihed up at the DMV we continued home and stopped at Burger King close to our house and grabbed some breakfast. While we were there we watched a few people look at the truck with amazement! After breakfast we finsihed the trip home and parked her at her new home!

This morning we woke up and start tinkering with the truck. We started to grease the font end and found a few grease fittings were cloged. I suggested we drive to NAPA and get some replacements. While we were there, we bought an oil filter, fuel filter, 6 gallons of Rotella 15W40, and 2 quarts of 80-90 Gear oil, and a pint DOT 5 Brake fluid to keep in the truck.

We returned home and changed the oil and filter and also changed the fuel filter. I brought the tires from 35 PSI to 55PSI. HAHA. I took 13 mins on each tire to bring them to 55PSI. Thank goodness we had a lock valve and could walk away while they wer airing up!

After we worked on it today, we drove it into town and filled her up with Diesel and went to Subway for Dinner then returned home!

Now for the negative............. While we were working on the truck we noticed the passenger front wheel hub boot is wet. So, I guess I will have to start looking into that...:shock:

AceHigh

Thanks for the beautiful write up. Your DMV is better than ours is, 30 minutes!

Here is a thread on the painting of your truck:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/92438-just-rolled-out-m35a3-383-a.html

My wife commented several times how I seemed to be "down" after the truck left. Hate to see one roll away, but retirement is getting closer! It was great to meet you both. BTW Catman here is an expert on the 3116 engine, as are several others. Lots of support available. Take care and hope you enjoy her as much as I have.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice story Andrew, glad you found a gem. Now, if you'll only be able to wrestle the steering wheel away from your Dad, you'll be all set!

Navo, Glad to see that you found what you were looking for! You will enjoy it very much. Also very nice to hear that your dad has been helping you with it. The memories you are making with him are sure to be priceless. You guys should try to make it to the GA rally.

Now, How about show us some pictures of that fine machine!
nopics

AnonymousOne

I brought the tires from 35 PSI to 55PSI. HAHA. I took 13 mins on each tire to bring them to 55PSI.
Search "Glad Hand Air hose" on the internet .... then you can use your trailer air brake line to fill the tires. Works fast...

Don't forget to reach back behind the glad hand connector and turn the valve / air on when your using it and off when your not.

Awesome write up thank you !!! :beer:
PS - After you brought her home ... what time in the morning did you get up to go and look at her? For me it was like xmass .. I was up at 5am looking at my baby. I was so focused on her that I didn't see the deer in my yard staring at me going "What is this fool up to?"

Attachments

Last edited:

Navo

Thanks for the beautiful write up. Your DMV is better than ours is, 30 minutes!

Here is a thread on the painting of your truck:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/paint-bodywork/92438-just-rolled-out-m35a3-383-a.html

My wife commented several times how I seemed to be "down" after the truck left. Hate to see one roll away, but retirement is getting closer! It was great to meet you both. BTW Catman here is an expert on the 3116 engine, as are several others. Lots of support available. Take care and hope you enjoy her as much as I have.
I really appreciate you and your wife's kindness! You made this a VERY pleasant experience! I will definitely stay in touch thru email and this site.

Navo

Great write up and nice to have an uneventful trip.
Yea I'm glad it went well! My Father and I had a great time.

Nice story Andrew, glad you found a gem. Now, if you'll only be able to wrestle the steering wheel away from your Dad, you'll be all set!
Haha! I know, he wants to ride in it as much as I do!

Nice truck! Sounds like you had a good trip.
Thanks! was a great trip!

Navo, Glad to see that you found what you were looking for! You will enjoy it very much. Also very nice to hear that your dad has been helping you with it. The memories you are making with him are sure to be priceless. You guys should try to make it to the GA rally.

Now, How about show us some pictures of that fine machine!
nopics
Thanks Rambling Wreck, I will have to take some pictures and figure out how to post them here. There is one posted above from AceHigh

Search "Glad Hand Air hose" on the internet .... then you can use your trailer air brake line to fill the tires. Works fast...

Don't forget to reach back behind the glad hand connector and turn the valve / air on when your using it and off when your not.

Awesome write up thank you !!! :beer:
PS - After you brought her home ... what time in the morning did you get up to go and look at her? For me it was like xmass .. I was up at 5am looking at my baby. I was so focused on her that I didn't see the deer in my yard staring at me going "What is this fool up to?"
I actually have that already AceHigh had one made and included it in the sale! Haha, We did not even think of using that. I know what you mean about XMAS, The morning after we got it home, we were outside working on it at sunrise!

the buddah

:deadhorse:glad you made it home ok i would check all wheel bearings right away they cost 265.00 for a outer and 350.00 and 6 months for inners as i well know

Navo

:deadhorse:glad you made it home ok i would check all wheel bearings right away they cost 265.00 for a outer and 350.00 and 6 months for inners as i well know
Im thinking it maybe just the seals and boot. The truck only has 5,500 miles on it. I find it hard to beleive the bearing is bad. The boot is just wet, when I checked the oil in the frot axel it was only down a small amount. I filled it back up with 80-90 gear oil. Also after driving all the hubs feel the same temp.