• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 charging system

glcaines

A few questions first

1. What is the condition of your batteries?
2. Have you cleaned all battery terminals and checked for loose wires on alternator?
3. Will the batteries charge up with a battery charger?
4. What is the voltage output from the alternator?
5. What does the gauge read?

Whenever I have a problem like this, the first thing to check are the batteries, battery terminals and connections. This is good PM in any case.

lawnmowerman

hello my voltage meter touches red from time to time batteries in good shape what should my alternator be putting out on m35a3 then it goes back to green stays awhile then tries to creep to red side batteries showing 13.4 volts

Jeepsinker

Your voltage across both batteries should be around 28-29 volts with the truck running. Your battery gauge may be defective, or not properly grounded. Each individual battery should show 14 volts or more with the truck running. I agree to check and clean your grounds first, I doubt it is a wiring issue. If all else fails, you can adjust the voltage up on the alternator.

lawnmowerman

ok here is what I have done checked batteries on m35a3 disconnected each battery reads 13.4 then when I reconnect them to alternator each battery with engine running checks 14.4 and both measured together read 28.5 or close to it then I went to alternator and checked out put it read 27.8 27.9 and every once in a while it jumped to 28 volt so am I crazy and its ok or did I not just have my meter on a good connection is every thing ok or not

Jeepsinker

Everything is fine. I run mine adjusted up to 30 volts. Your gauge is bad, or has a bad ground is all that is wrong. The gauge grounds through the gauge cluster plate, and dash. You can run a short ground wire from the mounting clamp on the back of the gauge to the dash and that should fix it. Make sure you have a good clean paint free surface on the dash where you connect your new ground wire. Just pick a spot and drill a small new hole and get everything new, preferably stainless screw, nut, and washer.

Jeepsinker

No problem. Sometimes people can make things more complicated than they really are, I try not to do that.

If you have any other questions or issues, just post back up.

james1979us

seeing that these posts are back from last year, I figured I would try my luck to find an answer for my charging problem. I have 2 civi batteries and have noticed that I have to put a charger on them after I have driven it to the store and back. I am trying to find a wiring diagram for the charging system. So far I have cleaned the ground where it attaches to the frame. There used to be a smaller wire coming off of the positive but is not connected now, that wire goes up to the back of the motor and the person who owned it before cut it and I don't know where it goes. Bottom line up front, the batteries keep dying on me and I need to find out how to connect everything so that the batteries stay charged. Can someone help me out please? A big thanks up front if someone can lead me in the right direction.

glcaines

seeing that these posts are back from last year, I figured I would try my luck to find an answer for my charging problem. I have 2 civi batteries and have noticed that I have to put a charger on them after I have driven it to the store and back. I am trying to find a wiring diagram for the charging system. So far I have cleaned the ground where it attaches to the frame. There used to be a smaller wire coming off of the positive but is not connected now, that wire goes up to the back of the motor and the person who owned it before cut it and I don't know where it goes. Bottom line up front, the batteries keep dying on me and I need to find out how to connect everything so that the batteries stay charged. Can someone help me out please? A big thanks up front if someone can lead me in the right direction.
A copy of the schematic is in the TM. I blew it up and printed it on 11 X 17 so that I stood a chance of reading it. I've attached a copy of the pdf file for the schematic. However, driving your A3 to town shouldn't run your batteries down unless your batteries are in poor condition, or your trip to town was very long and you were running the lights.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks