• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M756 Pipeline Bed install /redneck engineering

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Joel! Do the 2 center mounts on each side line up? Now that you have that gap, need to add a sleeper. My neighbors love my deuces. Every single one has benefited from them at one point or the other. They love you and your deuces after hurricanes!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
yes the two center mounts on each side line up. two of the holes on the rear plate line up with the two rivets I had to remove(they are where the V-brace for the pintle attaches to the frame.

rmgill

You guys need some armored vehicles. Then no-one will complain. Would YOU bitch to a neighbor that had a "tank" parked on the street?

Adamlee

Moving beds a-la "redneck-style"...

pics are in backwards order, as usual...my oops! :shock:

ok, thought I had a pic of the bed swap when the new bed was up in the air, but here's just after setting it down with the wrecker boom....you can still see the chains laying inside the bed....

plus, a pic of the wrecker moving the M715 around....

you wrecker guys got some practical vehicles, I'd say..... :)

Attachments

Desert Rat

Hey Ken! Print off some of these pics so next time a hurricane comes you won't pinch your fingiees and try to find a doctor NOT evacuating :) !!!!!!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
look at the difference in front mounts...Mine drop 2-3" down the side of the frame, yours are even with the bottom of the bed

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an almost ten year difference in the age of our beds, Joel, mine is dated 1961 at which time the pipeline bed was a separate unit and meant to be installed on any deuce when needed. Yours was made as an M756A2 pipeline deuce.
There are bound to be a few differences, mine has its own data tags too (image below).

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent most of last Monday at the sawmill to make sure Joel's (BFR) locust would be sawed. They had actualy done a load of white oak instead and insisted that the locust they had wasn't any good. They finally gave in and I got my locust. :)

Today I brought the deuce to the sawmill and picked up the lumber. The wood doesn't look terribly good (normal for locust), but there is twice as much as needed to make up for bad yield.
The sawmill is about 50 miles from the house, so it's a fair drive.
Problems noted:
1) Severe shimmy at about 45 mph! I'm not surprised since the front tires were "flipped" a week ago to get the worn/cupped edge in and the almost "new" looking edge out. These tires must be very unbalanced at this time. I moved the crane boom over the bed to reduce the weight on the front axle and it helped some, but I didn't drive much over 45 the whole trip.

2) The far right brake drum got burning hot and was smoking when I arrived at the mill. I prodeeded to take it apart, but still couldn't free up the forward brake shoe. I suspect that the wheel cylinder needs to be replaced or rehoned. I put everything back togerther and it got hot again going home, so I stopped and did some grocery shopping on the way to let things cool off a bit. The work itself was not a problem with air tools and I even had the wheel bearing socket packed. :)

Below is an image of the deuce back home again.
Note that one salient feature of the crane is to be able to use it to counter balance a cargo.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel, those are MB 240D's, the '83 is for my daughter (17) and the '76 is a parts car.
Yes, she will be driving on biodiesel (of course :)). The fuel tank won't be heated, so the BD will be for summer time driving only.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That locust will treat you well - very hard, like oak, but take forever to rot away. We have some locust fence posts around here that are 60 years old and still solid.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joel, measure at least twice before making the cut-outs, no spare boards available at this time. :)
Make sure the edge boards are in correctly before measuring the stake pocket locations, the boards may have to be worked on to slip under the lip along the sides.
Looks good so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks