• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820 van fuel consumption

Z71

What kind of mileage can one realistically expect out of an M820 expandible van with the 855 cu in Cummins/5 speed manual transmission and standard 11 X 20 NDT military tires? Also, what is the highest possible cruising speed for this vehicle?

I have an M109 (2.5 ton shop van) now and I am thinking about upgrading it to M820, which has a larger box plus a hydraulic lift gate. The M09 fuel economy is not that great - about 6-7 MPG at 55 MPH.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Top speed.........53 MPH downhill with a 40 MPH tailwind.

MPG.....depending on your ability....3-4 MG if you hold it at 50 MPH.....you are in a heavy vehicle with the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

If fuel milage is a concern you are barking up the wrong vehicle.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put it all in perspective with a dollars-per-mile cost. With the M818 at 6 mpg I figure about $1 a mile to operate it. That's fuel and wear items, tires etc. You will be probably $1 or more a mile just for fuel. :shock:

It's a hobby, you have to pay to play.

Have fun.

Sirblissfull

I own 2 M820's one is a M820A2 and I get 4 miles a gallon.

With fuel prices thats running almost 1.25 a mile. Cheap it is not.

That is with super singles max speed I achieved was with GPS showing 64 MPH and it was down hill with a heck of a tale wind.

Your MPG in florida will be better then mine at 8 thousand feet above sea level with half my miles being steep hill climbs.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have gotten 6.4 MPG in my stock 814, and I was trying REAL HARD. Feathering the throttle, short shifting, egg between my foot and the right pedal. Top speed? I have seen 57.3 MPH, going down Saluda Mtn in NC. The 814 likes 2000 RPM, and 49 to 51 MPH. I would think that you could get 4-5 MPG in that rolling house. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks