• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M934 Expansible AC

captcarc

Happy Sunday Ya'll!

After an enjoyable 3 months with my A3 deuce, I have added an M934 Expansible to the compound. The heaters are there, yet to be tested, but I'll want to eventually add AC to the van. If anyone can share their notes on this topic, I'd be most appreciative.

Thank you!

ke5eua

The A/C will let you hang meat in them. Our 934 was setup with a lot of electronics and the A/C ran constantly. With all the equipment running the A/C would still freeze us out. The one that goes to it is a 3 phase 220 unit, and is big and heavy.

You could probably get away with putting a big window unit in the hole and making a frame for it.

As far as the heaters, they might be disconnected. They are fuel heaters and when all of our trucks went in for reset they capped the fittings on the tanks and removed the fuel lines going to the heater.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to add here that when most of the trucks went in, they capped the heaters off not because of a problem with them but because of asbestos lining in the forward bulkhead ducts..... I have an m447c and an m313 expandable van-- both have asbestos linings in the forward ducts..... I removed the asbestos from the 447-- its a time consuming process of drilling out tons of rivets, removing the lining, and reassembly, all while wearing proper PPE. Before you fire these things up, I strongly suggest checking the ducts running out from under the heaters and down the bulkhead to see if they have asbestos linings in them..........

Z

captcarc

Thank you both for your responses and thank you SGT Hopwood for your service! So, you believe that the van already has AC installed and functional? Regarding the asbestos, how do I identify if the ducts are asbestos-lined? I will pick up the truck next week but do see in the photos that the large ceiling hood has been removed and is leaning against the side. Another van in this lot was the same. Do you think duct work was removed to make the trucks marketable? It's hard to imagine that these trucks would be released for sale by GovLiq with asbestos in them but maybe I'm naïve. Are the ceiling lights also 220v? Thanks again.

ke5eua

Lights are 110. If you could post a pic or two then I could tell you what is there or not.

Regarding asbestos in the ducts, it will be the two ducts at the bottom under the heaters. Not the roof ducts. As far as them selling it with it still in them, yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. Plus not everyone knew about it. You had to work with them or been told about it. I just remembered them disabling the heaters and completely forgot why until this thread.

The heater ducts were lined because of the heat and the expando van is wood lined on interior walls, at least ours was.

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To tell if the ducts still have the asbestos lining, look for a tightly woven cloth-like material, whitish in color, often with but not always a chalky texture--- if you are not sure, have someone well versed in asbestos take a look or use a test kit available at ace hardware stores (and probably other hardware places -- the kit is a small sample vial where you send in a small piece and they tell you if its asbestos or not)....... If it is, be very careful-- get a respirator with a p100 filter setup at a minimum (full tyvek suit preferably) and spray everything down when removing it-- Leaving it in there is not an option because running the heaters will expel large concentrations of airborne asbestos particulates into your van body and trust me, you do not want to breathe that stuff.

Z