• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939s being cut up

spartan_185

Hey guys, I have witnessed something here recently that has really stirred my curiosity. I work at a military installation here in southeast oklahoma and I regularly see up-armored M939 series trucks and FMTVs come in to be cut up at our local DRMO facility. My relatives actually work at the facility, and do some of the cutting. They say that they have destroyed hundreds if not thousands of various up-armored M939 series trucks. Is there anyone out there that has witnessed this kind of operation elsewhere? It makes me really sad to see this going on, especially when most of these trucks are A2's and a large number of winch trucks. I wish I could get you guys photos, but we have a no camera policy and my job would be at stake. Its bad enough that they cut up the trucks, but they even go as far as to destroy like new tires and wheels then pay to haul the tire waste to a landfill. By the time they get done, no part of the truck is over 24" in length. Talk about government waste!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, I have witnessed something here recently that has really stirred my curiosity. I work at a military installation here in southeast oklahoma and I regularly see up-armored M939 series trucks and FMTVs come in to be cut up at our local DRMO facility. My relatives actually work at the facility, and do some of the cutting. They say that they have destroyed hundreds if not thousands of various up-armored M939 series trucks. Is there anyone out there that has witnessed this kind of operation elsewhere? It makes me really sad to see this going on, especially when most of these trucks are A2's and a large number of winch trucks. I wish I could get you guys photos, but we have a no camera policy and my job would be at stake. Its bad enough that they cut up the trucks, but they even go as far as to destroy like new tires and wheels then pay to haul the tire waste to a landfill. By the time they get done, no part of the truck is over 24" in length. Talk about government waste!
Selling up-armored vehicles to the public would likely allow many to get in the hands of criminal types allowing them an advantage over LEO's and civilians in most situations. Apparently there is no actual market for them overseas.

That would not be a good thing.

spartan_185

Selling up-armored vehicles to the public would likely allow many to get in the hands of criminal types allowing them an advantage over LEO's and civilians in most situations. Apparently there is no actual market for them overseas.

That would not be a good thing.
I realize that up armor in civilian hands is a bad idea. I just hate to see good trucks go to waste. Plus some of these trucks and Humvee's are not up armored, but they get the axe anyways. Some of the humvees have less than 100 miles on the odometer. The same goes for the armored 939s that were armored after rebuild or upgrade. The 939 series of trucks are just coming on to the surplus market, and it looks like they may only be there for a short time due to these types of operations.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad....I've heard similar reasoning for NOT selling up-armored vehicles nor MRAPs to the civilian market. It's a shame that you are one of the contractors having to do the dirty deed! Too bad the up-armored portions couldn't be removed and the rest of the vehicles sold "as-is" at GL auctions. The guv-ment could at least recoup some of their expenses.

spartan_185

Sad....I've heard similar reasoning for NOT selling up-armored vehicles nor MRAPs to the civilian market. It's a shame that you are one of the contractors having to do the dirty deed! Too bad the up-armored portions couldn't be removed and the rest of the vehicles sold "as-is" at GL auctions. The guv-ment could at least recoup some of their expenses.
I dont actually work at the yard, but I do have to drive by it EVERY DAY. I have a soft spot for the 939s and it just kills me to see whats going on there. I would love to have some of the accessories off these trucks, mainly winches, but they get pinched up by a giant shear just like the rest of the truck.

Csm Davis

I find it odd that they use this excuse to not sell uparmored vehicles when anyone that has the money can get not only uparmored vehicles built out of any vehicles they want but can get them modified to use as a gun truck. The hummv is cut up because hummer got a law passed that says the government can't sell them to the open market because it would hurt there profit but how is this fair now they are gone?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I know of a contractor at Aberdeen Proving Ground getting paid to cut up hmmwvs with a shear on a excavator.That pisses me off when I am trying to build one .I would love to get my hands on some of the parts.

bonshawman

Had no problem purchasing my Ferret M1 and driving it around. No logic, as usual, with certain decision making.

You can buy a Suburban or the like armored or get it armored. They blend in with other like vehicles. An MV is so distinctive in it's profile, it is easy to spot. And of course everyone knows the escape road speed of an up-armored 5 ton (LOL) - it would be another police video of a "low speed pursuit".....

Same argument made about gun control - law abiding citizens properly use same and obey laws, those with criminal intent do not obey laws, so you attempt to restrict the use by all because of the potential actions of the few;
First - that has been proven time and time again NOT to work (look no further than prohibition)
Second - armored vehicles in private hands already exist - and with the EUC maybe the government needs to ratchet up the "vetting" process for release of armor

It is unfortunate that the government has chosen destruction over redistribution.

hmfic

Im sure the hood rats are going to roll with up armored trucks agains LEO. They run on 24 V they cant get 12 volt stereos and big speakers in them.:lol:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The genie is out of the bottle on up armoring anything.

Ask Marvin. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlZh9-NQEyI[/media]

The fact that these vehicles are being sold for scrap or destroyed and sent to a landfill is proof positive that the lunatics are indeed running the asylum.:cookoo:

Government fraud, waste and abuse at it best (or worst depending on your rating scheme for fraud, waste and abuse).

I was at Redstone last week previewing and I saw some complete (all of the equipment had been removed) S-280 shelters in the scrap area. I asked if I could take them out whole (people are buying them to make storm shelters out of) if I bought them as scrap.

I was told they had to be demilled which meant that one of the GL guys would have to mash them with a large front end loader.

All of this because the gooberment pogue at DRMO was too lazy to change the demill code on them.

My aching back.:roll::roll:

spartan_185

The genie is out of the bottle on up armoring anything.

Ask Marvin. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlZh9-NQEyI[/media]

The fact that these vehicles are being sold for scrap or destroyed and sent to a landfill is proof positive that the lunatics are indeed running the asylum.:cookoo:

Government fraud, waste and abuse at it best (or worst depending on your rating scheme for fraud, waste and abuse).

I was at Redstone last week previewing and I saw some complete (all of the equipment had been removed) S-280 shelters in the scrap area. I asked if I could take them out whole (people are buying them to make storm shelters out of) if I bought them as scrap.

I was told they had to be demilled which meant that one of the GL guys would have to mash them with a large front end loader.

All of this because the gooberment pogue at DRMO was too lazy to change the demill code on them.

My aching back.:roll::roll:
I believe the reason some of the nice items such as S-280 ,S250 shelters and other nice surplus equipment get the axe at my DRMO is because of the same type of lazy person. They dont want to deal with selling it as is so they just say scrap it all. Its easier to load 10 shelters into a roll off dumpster as 24" pieces. than it is to put whole ones into peoples pickups and onto trailers.

mcmullag

scrap metal

That is sad to hear. I can understand not selling whole uparmored vehicles but gee whiz, like you said, they should sell some of the parts. Would you clarify one item that you mentioned... the cut up steel and iron is going to a landfill? Do you mean that tons of good iron and steel is being buried under dirt and not being recycled? That would be a huge waste of energy and resources.

yamabro

That is sad to hear. I can understand not selling whole uparmored vehicles but gee whiz, like you said, they should sell some of the parts. Would you clarify one item that you mentioned... the cut up steel and iron is going to a landfill? Do you mean that tons of good iron and steel is being buried under dirt and not being recycled? That would be a huge waste of energy and resources.
Exactly what a waste of resources!!!

dburt

You and I paid for these vehicles out of our hard earned dollars- it's called taxation! We also pay the salaries of the people who make the decision to cut them up. So- what is wrong with this picture??
This type of thing has been going on for many many years. My dad was in the US Navy during WWII, and after the war was over, he served on a ship that loaded all night in San Francisco and then went out about 25 miles or so every day, day after day, in the Pacific and spent the day unloading brand new jeeps, trucks, air planes, tanks, guns, tents, whatever the military wanted to get rid of over the side of the ship into the ocean.
Even in those days it was enough to make a grown man cry. What a huge, idiotic waste of good items at taxpayer expense. They didn't even scrap the metal or other items. Just dumped it over into the ocean.:x

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not just the government cutting them up, I took a ride to Camp Shelby to have a look and drove through a town call Purvis Miss. and they were cutting them up there as well, tires winches and the like laying around, but most going for scrap weight. If anyone is down that way the tires were a deal, don't know about the rest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks