• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 1985 Diesel Motor

NJ998Humvee

Please help have my M998 setting in the driveway with a spun/blown motor rebuilt by the military in 1998 (sounds like a bucket of bolts) ! I have had it since 2000 and am looking for a complete motor to drop back in and get it back on the road by summer. I seen other threads but am new to the site. E. mail jbhump311@comcast.net. Also tried govermentliquidators.com no luck.

Thanks look forward to input.

ida34

Try TedG. He is on SS and other boards. PM him. He has several engines to fit your need including 6.5 NA humvee engines as well as 6.5 turbo engines. He knows humvees and is great to deal with.

Monkeyboyarmy

Don't know what it exactly sounds like but check to make sure the harmonic dampener didn't come apart and start banging against the pan and timing cover.

dohabandit

I had a head gasket blow on my 6.2L. I am pretty sure the reason that it died was due to someone using a bunch of starter fluid to attempt starting the engine when they didn't realize it was the MFI pump solenoid that the issue (was not me, but I am at fault for not supervising I guess).

With the head gasket blown, there are many indicators you can look for. I had the better half of my coolant in the oil pan and oil 75% the way up the dip stick. (I didn't have any calcifications along he side of the head gasket/block on one side, but did have some on the side that failed). I had full hydraulic lock-up and as a result I had some valves crushed to pieces and engine definitely sounded like it was full of loose nuts and bolts, not too mention the big PLUME of WHITE smoke out the exhaust. The classic death of a 6.2L I am told.

My truck came from the Albany, GA auction.

Anyway, I got a used/non-reman 6.2L from TedG that came from a DRMO lot that he picked up. Some of those DRMO engines look scary as hell to me, but I spent $750+shipping and rolled the dice. He stated that he got it from a company that was contracted to do the engine refresh for the military. Having worked with the military, I know that they will replace a large number of engines at the same time to keep them all current and often toss perfectly good engines. So time to roll the dice!

Engine arrived and I kinda cringed a bit. Basically slathered in fresh black paint. Even painted over the bolt holes that were filled with mud-dobber nests. Regardless, the outside is not so much what matters. What matters is what is inside. It had a good flywheel also. So I dropped it in and got it running last weekend. I haven't driven the vehicle yet because I still have some work left to do. (I have a broken valve stem on front tire, so I am looking for valve stems!)

Engine fired right up and went to a stable idle if only a little bit higher RPM than it should. (need to look at linkages and MFI adjustments). It was a little "tappy" sounding for me, but it has been sitting for a while and hasn't had much lubrication up in the lifter/rocker arm areas for a while so lets see how it turns out after running for a while.

I looked into all that was required to do the 6.5L conversion and decided that was not in my budget ($$$ and time). If I have to do that much work, I will just drop in a duramax but then my truck is no longer mil-spec. :cry:

Does anyone have any info on this #8 cyl modification? I guess you run a coolant line back there and remove the small cover to install it?

dohabandit

Also, the engine from TedG was not seized up. It was easy to turn it over by hand. Regardless, I sprayed a ton of marvel oil down every intake plenum every time I rotated it while bolting up flexplate to the TC. I figured having the top end good and OILY was a good thing, this being a diesel engine.

The marvel oil smells 100% like JP8 or Kerosene burning to me (have run JP8 thru HMMWV before). So much for the Mystery! Haha...

dohabandit

I said TedG, but I meant to say Ted Hils. Sorry for confusion.
Ted Hils Trucks n Stuff.

I got my engine installed and its working well so far...

ABN173

Don't always go by the GL listings, there may be 6.5L engines mistakenly listed as 6.2L. I just screened a auction a week ago to discover they were not 6.2L but rather 6.5L detuned HMMWV engines. I won them for $150. I am pretty sure they need a rebuild but at $75 each I'm ok with that. I'd hook you up if I was closer.

Good luck,
Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks