• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine Corp, or, Early Deuce Vin Number

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Is the Marine Corp VIN format for the Deuce, 1960ish, a 6 digit number? Searched around and found some threads that reference a VIN with six digits, but not the service the vehicle came from. The truck is a non-turbo water tanker and has the paperclips on the front bumper. Only numbers I can find are 6 digits. . .

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ed, what are those 5 characters? Example, my old M108 had the VIN of M30708. Air Force issue mfd by Studebaker. In 1960 they may have still been using these types of VIN numbers. I'm not aware of a different format for the G742 series for different branches of the DOD.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kenny, it's all numbers, 376305, on the frame, nothing on the dash. Maybe the 3 is a B? I'm at a loss. . .

Maybe something on the passenger side frame rail? as this is an old truck?

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ed, what are those 5 characters? Example, my old M108 had the VIN of M30708. Air Force issue mfd by Studebaker. In 1960 they may have still been using these types of VIN numbers. I'm not aware of a different format for the G742 series for different branches of the DOD.
Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either, the number should be the same format regardless of the BOS. . . .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reos of the day had a simple 5 digit number for a VIN. The M prefix I eluded to was exclusive to the Studebaker trucks. Deuce VINs didn't start getting uniform until the mid 60s so seeing that on a 1960 truck seems plausible. Lots of manufacturers in the days leading up to Kaiser Jeep and subsequently AM G.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Reos of the day had a simple 5 digit number for a VIN. The M prefix I eluded to was exclusive to the Studebaker trucks. Deuce VINs didn't start getting uniform until the mid 60s so seeing that on a 1960 truck seems plausible. Lots of manufacturers in the days leading up to Kaiser Jeep and subsequently AM G.
Kenny,

I just looked at the 54 REO, 130741? on the dash plate, but it is marked as "serial number" I'll have to scrape paint to look at the frame.

Last edited:

1958 M274

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Ed,
If you found 376305 some where on your truck, it is most likely your USMC hood number. Between my Dad and I, we have owned several USMC vehicles from the 1960's. All of the hood numbers, regardless of vehicle size, have been six digits, and all started with "3". We've had a few later vehicles as well, and they were also six digits, but started with "5".

1958 M274

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some vehicles from that era, like Marine Corps contract M151A1s, used that number as both the hood number and serial number on the data plate. Most of our other USMC vehicles still have a manufacturers serial number on the data plate. Cant say for sure about M44 series trucks, never had one of those that was an original Marine Corps vehicle.