• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meeting in South Carolina during July or Aug.?

rsh253

Hi Folks,

From some of the posts I've been reading, there seems to be some interest in a meeting or event of some sort in South Carolina. Blythewoodjoe is planning a rally for March 2009, but is there any interest in holding a meeting or some sort of event earlier, say in late July or August?

Somewhere around Columbia would be covenient for just about anyone in SC. Columbia is 115 mi from Charleston, 160 mi. from Savannah, 75 mi. from Augusta, 105 mi. from Greenville, and 95 mi from Charlotte.

What kind of event would folks be interested in? Just meet at a Cracker Barrel for lunch, meet & tour a museum, some kinda trail ride? Would we want to make it a few hours, a day, or a weekend? I'm new to SC so don't know the area, so any suggestions of places would be helpful. I'd be happy to help organize.

To try to get things rolling, here are several dates: July 26/27, August 2/3, August 9/10. Which of these dates works for you? Any others?

-Russ

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Russ,
The central midlands MVPA group (MVCSC) meets the second Wednesday of each month, starting about 5pm (for a short social session) at the American Legion Post #6. The formal meeting starts upstairs about 6:30. We are also doing some restoration work on some WWII stuff at Owens Field, meeting every Thursday afternoon and evening for work sessions. Send me a private message (PM) if you want some more details. Fort Mill is a bit of a drive for every Thursday, but I encourage you to drop in once a month!
Mike
MVPA # 31526

MDSA

SC meetings

I'm about an hour northwest of Charlotte, and wouldn't mind bringing the Deuce down to the Columbia area. I'd like to have a trail ride if possible. July works better for me.

Brian

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
RE: SC meetings

Id like that , anytime in Aug, im in Wilson NC but I can drive down with family. 236 miles one way but I can stay with family and visit in Laurens. Well worth it.
Id like a weekend thing to cool down and relax before the trip home or to grandmas.

Trail rides, convoys, i like and miss that kinda stuff

rsh253

Brian, Jay,

Thanks for the input. :D I'm thinking along the same lines. :roll: If folks have to drive, & with the high cost of fuel we want to make it worthwhile. We could meet somewhere on Sat for a late breakfast/early lunch, then convoy :driver: to an event of some sort, plan on spending the night, maybe do something again on Sunday morning and then break-up early enough so we can get home at a decent time. Folks could also pick & choose what they want to do.

I'm relocating from Washington State, so the whole area is new for me. Now I know where Wilson & Valdese NC are!

Jay, I guess you'd be coming down I-95 to I-20 so we'd meet you in Columbia?

Brian, looks like you'd be coming down I-77 and we could meet & drive down to Columbia together if you'd like. I'm in south Charlotte right off of I-77. I'm going to try and make my first Hickory, NC meeting in July (the 12th?) and will try to have the plans set by then. Hopefully we can come up with something worthwhile doing! :jumpin:

-Russ

rsh253

Guys,

I've been working on this and have a weekend plan to throw out there for comments/suggestions. How does the weekend of Aug 1 & 2 sound? Here's the plan:

Sat. Meet for breakfast @ 10:00 am @ Cracker Barrel, 2208 Legrand Road, (I-77 Exit 19 & Legrand Road, ) Columbia, SC 29223

11:00 Convoy leaves Columbia & drive appr. 80 mi. to Gulches Off Road Vehicle Park. The drive would be 1/2 freeway & 1/2 back-road. Costs for Gulches Off-roading: $25 per vehicle & driver+ $5. per add’n person + $10.00/camp spot. That Sat there's a special night ride where the trails are open ‘til midnight. There are also numerous motels nearby.

Sun we convoy back to Columbia & visit the SC Military Museum and then folks can depart at their convenience.

Folks can do any or all of the above. So we'd get to meet & eat, convoy on freeway & back roads, off-road, camp, and visit a military musseum.

What do you think? I've tried to attach a file with more detailed info.

-Russ

Attachments

jwaller

I'd love to make it but 80miles is a bit of a hike. it's at least 100 miles from my location and getting 5mpg and about $4.50/gal thats a pricy trip. I may just meet you guys at the Museum.

rsh253

Jay,

What is that tracked vehicle those guys are standing on, and are you one of them?

Can you bring it with you to the off-road park? :wink:

John,

Why not come in one of your toys that doesn't use as much juice? Do you know the off-road capabilities of your Mini Cooper S? 8)

-Russ

rsh253

Jay,

Thanks for sharing the photos. Not exactly a white Christmas. Are the boxes on the hull some type of reactive armour?

It seems like you folks that served over there should at least get a discount on the price of fuel. If it weren't for you, the price of gas would be $10./gal., the economy would be really in the toilet, we would have had more buildings coming down and more dead Americans in downtown USA. Unfortunately, too few Americans seem to understand that.

Thank you Jay [thumbzup]

-Russ

jwaller

bulldog_mack13 said:
Thats why I save up for long trips, and visiting family while down there
thanks for your service jay.

but on a different note I put over 15k miles per year per MV. thats a lotta fuel and miles. I really cant save up as I'm always spending $ to go places.

I've spent $600 this week alone in fuel for the 818 and I've only gone 600 or so miles.

spent $300 on the HMMWV
and $200 on the M35.

and thats this week...

If I only drove my stuff on parades and weekends like some guys I could do it but I work and drive all my trucks daily.

rsh253

OK, Bombs Away!

I've started a new thread for an event for Aug 2 & 3. I've made a few changes, like getting the right dates, & I moved the Sat meeting spot to a Cracker Barrel a bit closer to Gulches Off-Road Park. That will reduce the driving distance.

Pls take a look & try to make part or all!
-Russ

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Thanks guys! alot!

Yeah its pointless reactive armour, it makes a nice walking deak for me and the other guy in the turret to walk one the sides of the brad but thats about all it was good for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks