• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-005a

Scoobyshep

This diagram shows 3 phase. But it can be configured as such. I do believe it's important to point out that the field rating is 15 to 100 ohms. The 005 field is 2-4 ohms. Other members have made it work but it is out of spec

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The connection for the 4 power terminals C B B A would be as follows for single phase 240 VAC

IMG_0685.jpeg

Follow the Manual for further setup of Dip Switches and adjustments

contact the manufacturer or seller of the ADVR 054 if you have further questions

as to @Scoobyshep ’s comment, he is correct and this is the reason for all the additional parts needed in the above wiring diagram in Post #19.

Attachments

Last edited:

Benxbec

The connection for the 4 power terminals C B B A would be as follows for single phase 240 VAC

View attachment 924815

Follow the Manual for further setup of Dip Switches and adjustments

contact the manufacturer or seller of the ADVR 054 if you have further questions

as to @Scoobyshep ’s comment, he is correct and this is the reason for all the additional parts needed in the above wiring diagram in Post #19.
Thanks so much for all the great input!
I have already ordered the ADVR 054 and have these items in my Amazon cart.
1- 50 ohm 100 watt resistor
2- KUP-11A55-24 relay
3- 12 ohm 500 watt resistor
4- 1N5408 Rectifier Diode 3A 1000V

I see the relay is sitting on top of a black fixture. Can someone please tell me what that is and a possible source?

Also, there is a push button in the pictures, can someone please help me with that also?

I have spoken with my electrical engineer buddy and he was really excited to have something to tinker with. 😉

Sorry for all the questions guys, as a farmer I am pretty mechanical, electrical not so much.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks so much for all the great input!
I have already ordered the ADVR 054 and have these items in my Amazon cart.
1- 50 ohm 100 watt resistor
2- KUP-11A55-24 relay
3- 12 ohm 500 watt resistor
4- 1N5408 Rectifier Diode 3A 1000V

I see the relay is sitting on top of a black fixture. Can someone please tell me what that is and a possible source?

Also, there is a push button in the pictures, can someone please help me with that also?

I have spoken with my electrical engineer buddy and he was really excited to have something to tinker with. 😉

Sorry for all the questions guys, as a farmer I am pretty mechanical, electrical not so much.
The black fixture is the panel mountable relay socket for the KUP Relay

Benxbec

I have wired up and installed the voltage regulator but have not tried it yet and was hoping if someone could check it out please.

I did start the unit to see if the hertz meter would come up and it wouldn't. So I then tapped on it without the unit running and it slowly moved around and settled around 51 and won't move from there. I then started the unit and adjusted the throttle and no movements. I opened the panel with all the gauges to see what it looked like and it actually looks surprisingly good back there, almost pristine. I then looked for anything loose and found nothing. Also looks like the voltage meter has been changed recently. I do have a plug in hertz meter that I could use.

My electrical engineer buddy, to me, seems to have done some things a little different but he was confident in everything except the F1 & F2 hookups on the terminal block. He didn't know if we have those correct.

So if this all looks correct what is the procedure for getting it going?

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
You really can not screw up F1 & F2. Its DC voltage.

If you haven't hooked up the VR yet, how can you test the hertz meter? No voltage, no hertz.

In picture #4 you have some unhooked wires. Tape the ends up.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If everything is wired as in the diagram and you connected the AVR per AVR manual for your voltage then all you need to do is start Genset and push button briefly. Voltage and Hertz should come right up.
I would connect a volt meter on convenience receptacle in the case the voltmeter on panel does not work
You can also connect your frequency meter to this receptacle.

Benxbec

I tested as far as according to the regulator manual turn both pots counterclockwise as far as they would go and briefly started the unit just to make sure nothing sparked, smoked or started fire! 😁 it has passed that test, but thought maybe hertz would register.

I will tape those ends up, thanks.

So, how will I know much how to turn the voltage pot up before I press the button or do I just keep going a little at a time and press the button until I get some voltage?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tested as far as according to the regulator manual turn both pots counterclockwise as far as they would go and briefly started the unit just to make sure nothing sparked, smoked or started fire! 😁 it has passed that test, but thought maybe hertz would register.

I will tape those ends up, thanks.

So, how will I know much how to turn the voltage pot up before I press the button or do I just keep going a little at a time and press the button until I get some voltage?
Press button until you see voltage - do not press for more then 2 or 3 seconds
That should be enough - then adjust potentiometers as outlined in AVR manual.
If you have no voltage indication on meter after 3 seconds then check your wiring.

Benxbec

I cranked the unit and had only like .6 volts show up on my multimeter. I then pressed the button, saw the relay close, for around 3 seconds and nothing. I then checked the wiring diagram again and seems we have everything correct except looking at the pictures in previous posts there are 2 wires going to ground. We only have 1, I believe we are missing a ground. We have a wire from B on the relay going to a ground and that's it. Can someone tell me about the other one please?

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cranked the unit and had only like .6 volts show up on my multimeter. I then pressed the button, saw the relay close, for around 3 seconds and nothing. I then checked the wiring diagram again and seems we have everything correct except looking at the pictures in previous posts there are 2 wires going to ground. We only have 1, I believe we are missing a ground. We have a wire from B on the relay going to a ground and that's it. Can someone tell me about the other one please?
The other one should be terminal number 4 on relay socket to ground

IMG_0912.jpeg

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Note:
The relay socket terminal numbers need to match the contact configuration of the relay being used.
We made this drawing based on the Potter Brumfield KUP Relays we use

Double check that terminal numbers match the contact configuration of your relay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks