• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Miltope msd ste/ice sport an/usm-95

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wondering if anyone has any experience with these?

How hard would it be to obtain a hard drive (I think they're special dimensions or something) and upgrade the internals?

Are they easy to work on and if I take one apart, is there anything special I need to avoid / watch out for?

Any manuals out there for digging into these?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The MSD v2 laptop style is a better option. Takes a special caddy with ice laptop size drive. I think the sport uses the same drive just a different carrier/caddy. Unless you are running diag on something electronic like a1 Lmtv there isn't too much you can do with the computer vs a multimeter. I have an otc handheld code reader that's quick and easy to use compared to the MSD.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Naw, it was cheap and it has the hard drive and batteries appear to hold a good charge. I want to know if upgrading the RAM or any of that other computer geek stuff is possible. I know the hard drive caddy is special but the connection I think is standard. Old and slow but wondering if it can be improved knowing that it will never become a super computer.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I opened an older MSD v2 there wasn't anything upgrade able. It was very well made. Took quite a bit to get it apart. Not sure if it would have all gone back together without a lot of work and luck. What operating system does yours run? If it has USB port I may be able to load the MSD os and base diag programs on it. Is there a bios setting where you can specify boot order?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Actually I think everything is still there. Since I seriously doubt it will work on an MB, I guess the diagnostics are immaterial.

papakb

Hi Carnac, I've got a couple of the Miltope PSM80s that I re-hard drived with an adapter I made up. The problem that I had after re-loading an operating system was the unit wouldn't recognise and mouse attached to it even though I was able to use the built in trackpad during the reload. Very strange. I tried serial mouses and some ps2 mouses but nothing worked. I'm about ready to dump both of them and let someone else figure them out. I have more than enough projects in the mill to keep me busy and don't need either one of these computers.

Kurt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks