• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Most reputable/best prices?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I need parts for the trucks I brought back from Santa Fe yesterday, front axle boots, transfer case driveshaft seals.....and so on. I've seen a few websites but wanted to know who you guys deal with/are happy with.

Ed

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like OD Iron as well, but his shipping rates leave a little to be desired. Not so much in the rates, but in the services offered. I ordered two wiper blades and the shipping was $13.00 or so via UPS. The Post Office has a flat rate envelope that both would have fit in and cost $4.60 total. Next time I shop for small parts like this, the shipping rates will play a major role in who I choose. I'd just like the option of a cheaper shipping rate if possible, even if it means the parts will arrive a little slower. Other than that, I am VERY pleased at OD Iron's wares and service.

Also try Saturn Surplus and TNJ Murray. Lots of parts, great service from both.

www.saturnsurplus.com

www.tnjmurray.com

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A great question and valid concern.

I've learned in a short time, that the MV world is a small world. Big! But, small in the sense of how paths cross among the people in the hobby. For that reason, I think things stay pretty fair as far as parts availablity and price competition. I've found good prices at one place on one part, and better on something else at another. I cannot say that I've ever really gotten poor response or bad service anywhere. (YET!) I'm sure it's out there.

I'll go ahead and plug OD Iron though.

Oshkosh Equipment, Saturn Surplus, and TNJ Murray are in my "Favorites" as well.

devilman96

I like OD Iron as well, but his shipping rates leave a little to be desired. Not so much in the rates, but in the services offered. I ordered two wiper blades and the shipping was $13.00 or so via UPS. The Post Office has a flat rate envelope that both would have fit in and cost $4.60 total. Next time I shop for small parts like this, the shipping rates will play a major role in who I choose.
MD I hear ya brother and please don’t take this as a "rebuttal" to your posting, it’s just an explanation...

Problem is USPS is to unreliable for getting things to customers. I've had 3 times where I've lost out or had to replace lost or damaged packages (about 1000$ this year) due to their inept ability to loose or destroy. (and man I box the snot out of things!) Insurance only goes so far and by the time you tack it on the additional cost your right there with UPS rates.

There are rare occasions where I do ship items USPS but it’s usually due to weight and timing, guys on the west coast or further that I can get heavy items to faster… But otherwise… It’s a total pain and a risk I don’t like taking.

On the flip side of that… You know what your shipping charges BEFORE you submit your order… If you don’t agree I’ve never turned a reasonable SS members request down, if I can help I will… If I can.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping is a big Item to me!. Here, UPS & FedEx don't work and their shipping charges are prohibitive!. If a Vender can't ship USPS, taking advantage of the Flat Rate boxes when possible, I won't do business with them. Believe it or not, Uncle Sam is the fastest, cheapest, and most reliable - I'm on his side!

Lee in Alaska

67Beast

Shipping is a big item for me too, mainly because I own a large off-road business and ship several packages a day. Like Devilman, we have found USPS to be unreliable. And on top of that it's a pain to have to take them to the Post Office to ship them. Not all of us live in a big city where you can do the USPS pick-up. My UPS guy is here everyday for pick-up and it sure is a lot easier to deal with. Now Rosco, I understand your point, because you live in Alaska and UPS and FedEx do not offer ground shipmets to there so everything must go Air=$$$$. In cases like that we will ship USPS to help the customer out.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of shipping, I ordered a "kill" cable from Memphis Equipment and they stuck it to me on shipping. They shipped in in a HUGE box that would hold 50 cables with room to spare.

sprucemt

Dave Walker in Hesperia CA. 760-244-8060 is one of your closer dealers. There are a multitude of dealers nationwide. Another source for parts dealers would be Military Vehicle Magizine or their website www.collect.com. Also check out www.olive-drab.com for a huge list of dealers worldwide and a huge database of information.
When buying parts, be aware of whether you are purchasing genuine issue parts or aftermarket commercial parts made offshore.
Within the 48 states UPS shipping is far superior compared to the USPS. Tracking data, insurance up to $100 is no additional cost and Quantum View Notify is no additional cost. Remember once you pay for your item, you own it and when you ship a flatrate box at exact cost, it may be cheap shipping until the USPS loses it or mashes it. In my case USPS charges an additional $12.00 per package for pick-up. That would mean a $4.60 package plus $12.00 pick up would have been cheaper to ship UPS. Remember also some of the smaller dealers are nailing end users with a $4.00 per package surcharge because they don't have a UPS daily pick up schedule. If the dealer is using the UPS Store, you the end user are paying top rate plus a surcharge. I, like most of the major dealers, have daily pick-up and absorb the cost. I also have my rates discounted 20% off of UPS posted rates. Many of the larger dealers have even heavier discounts from UPS.
It pays to buy close to home but won't always happen. Do shop around and ask lots of questions. It will pay off in the long run.

CGarbee

I've delt with several of the folks mentioned here and think that Don makes some real valid points... Only thing that I would add to his post is that the dealers that I purchase from have also been happy to deliver to a show that both they and I were attending. Not always a MV show either (I once met up with a dealer at a livestock show since he was comming to town for it and the fairgrounds are next door to my office...).

Oh, and to add to both Mike and Don's line on USPS. If you send it USPS to my home address, I may or may not get it... Every week, I get together with my neighbors and we exchange mail since it seems like our carrier believes in random distribution of mail into the boxes along the road... Send it to my office address, and it gets to loop around the building a few times before it lands on my desk...

UPS, FedEX, DHL all come to the office every day and the clerk in the stockroom pages me to come take posession of my stuff when it is offloaded... When they come to the house, they enjoy looking at the latest addition to the collection parked in the yard (while cursing about having to manuver the truck around them to get back out the drive...).

Good luck.

54reo

I have ordered from quite a few of the above mentioned vendors in the past. And I have been happy with the service from most of them. Walker Auto in Hesperia, CA (as mentioned by sprucemt above) is a great guy to deal with, and he is on your side of the country.

My vote for the "best", and the first one I try, is Mike at OD Iron. I like the lay-out of his website, and his parts selection is outstanding. His prices are competitive as well.

This is not a plug for Mike, just a comment on my dealings with him.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for all the input , I really appreciate it, and need it, as I now seem to have a bunch of trucks that need all manner of little things. ;)