• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MOV mod Fuse mod 803 A

jaybird67k

Yes it's needed.
Without it you risk burning out the stator in the gen head.
It's to protect the gen head if the VR fails and shorts out. A design flaw in the factory VR.
Thanks. I just ordered the parts.
Should I wait and do my load test one the mod is done?

Thanks, Jason

jaybird67k

I'd wait until the Fuse Mod is installed.
Not worth the risk of burning up your gen head.
I wouldn't run it until then.
Thanks, I found the fuse holder and fuse and it will be her next week as well as an upgraded fuel tank drain bulkhead fitting I got from Colt.
Having trouble getting the veristor quick some I'm looking for another source for that.

jaybird67k

I'd wait until the Fuse Mod is installed.
Not worth the risk of burning up your gen head.
I wouldn't run it until then.
Is there any other mods besides the fuse and holder and the veristor that I need to do?
The reason I ask is because I seen where you had showed a picture in another thread that looked to be a mod that didn't look like this mod.
Maybe I'm just confused.....lol.

jaybird67k

That picture is of the circuit board inside the VR. Circled items are the diodes that can short out damaging the Quad winding and wrecking the gen head.
Ok so that's the part that gets damaged and kills the generator section.
So all I need is the 3 parts I ordered installed?

Thanks Kloppk

jaybird67k

Being a holiday weekend the package won't go out until Tuesday when the post office opens. I'll ship it Priority for you.
Thanks Kloppk.
Can you run it with just the fuse mod until the Veristor comes in or is it best to wait for both?
Wanting to do a load test as soon as I can.

Thanks so much, Jason

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuse mod protects the gen head from being damaged if the VR shorts out. The Varistor (MOV) helps protect the VR from shorting out.
So... it would probably be OK to load test it with just the Fuse Mod. Just a slight risk of the VR shorting out without the varistor before it's installed.

jaybird67k

The fuse mod protects the gen head from being damaged if the VR shorts out. The Varistor (MOV) helps protect the VR from shorting out.
So... it would probably be OK to load test it with just the Fuse Mod. Just a slight risk of the VR shorting out without the varistor before it's installed.
Ok Thanks.
Is it best to run two 120V circuits out with multiple plugs to put heaters on or test it on 220V with something or does it matter?
Just want to test it before putting it on my house.
Then I want to buy your board once it's proven so I can remotely monitor it.

Thanks, Jason