• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Multi fuel beginner

LuckyWolf

Hi everyone,

I’ve had my M35A2 multifuel a week and still finding my feet,

With regards to the multi fuel part of it, I’d just like to ask for some basic advice,

It has a 50 gallon fuel tank, which I’ll mainly be using diesel for, would a few litres of petrol be ok to mix with a large amount of diesel, and what exactly is meant by the term multi fuel? Is it just petrol and diesel or can others be used? Sorry if this has been asked before but I’m not great technically and need things explained simply, hence why I’m asking here,

Thank you

Karl 😁

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi everyone,

I’ve had my M35A2 multifuel a week and still finding my feet,

With regards to the multi fuel part of it, I’d just like to ask for some basic advice,

It has a 50 gallon fuel tank, which I’ll mainly be using diesel for, would a few litres of petrol be ok to mix with a large amount of diesel, and what exactly is meant by the term multi fuel? Is it just petrol and diesel or can others be used? Sorry if this has been asked before but I’m not great technically and need things explained simply, hence why I’m asking here,

Thank you

Karl 😁
Hi Karl,

Welcome to the Outfit! The Multi-Fuel engine can be run on a lot of things. Waste Motor Oil (WMO) is a possibility. It needs to be filtered so it doesn't gum up your injectors. Then it gets thinned with a little gas (to the consistency of diesel fuel). Heck, if you have a McDonalds near you, you could even run oil from a fryer vat, again thinned with gas. You will smell like a french fry rolling down the highway...

The real KEY to multiple fuels is straining (filtering) whatever you put in your tank.

That was the purpose of the original multi-fuel. Whatever you can find - in a war time situation - pour it in the tank, and go! Better than walking...

dr3d

Howdy Karl,

I'm 'bout a week your senior in Deuce land. So, watch for folks to correct what I get wrong.

If diesel is available, it is your best choice. Multi fuel is about having options when diesel is not available.

Gas is bad for the health of your injection system. It is important to add lubricant to gas.

Used motor oil is now a commodity. Heck, all oil that burns is a commodity to a multifuel owner.

Download the TMs. The operaters manual touches on the subject. Best performance and economy will come from diesel.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Howdy Karl,

I'm 'bout a week your senior in Deuce land. So, watch for folks to correct what I get wrong.

If diesel is available, it is your best choice. Multi fuel is about having options when diesel is not available.

Gas is bad for the health of your injection system. It is important to add lubricant to gas.

Used motor oil is now a commodity. Heck, all oil that burns is a commodity to a multifuel owner.

Download the TMs. The operaters manual touches on the subject. Best performance and economy will come from diesel.

Above is great advice. The TM's will tell you what the military considers "Multi Fuel" is. The TM's are your best friend right now.

canadacountry

as a small note: also in the tm's you would find jet fuel as one of the official fuel mix, then again when you think about it in a military sense it helps that the fuel used to work planes to an outpost(my word) dirt(again) airport can then be the same resupply fuel used to fill up the m35/m36 trucks based out of that airport

(although if you were running certain junker planes or so then disregard above remark as these particular planes actually ran on diesel fuel instead..!)

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a data tag in mine that expressly says no "aviation gas" 100 octane. My experience? Diesel is your friend as far and ease and accessibility.....WMO is cheaper, but requires effort, knowledge, and availability....in Illinois? If my tank gets "sticked" by DMV/State Patrol? It BETTER be road legal fuel.....if not? Fines can be STUPID high....my deuce isn't a "daily driver" and I can afford to fuel it.....if not? Maybe I shouldn't have it?? So? For me? Id use whatever I had to in a NEED TO situation, cause the system was designed for that feature. If i dont NEED TO? Diesel

My two shillings worth....

biscuitwhistler37

Some good reads in there

Also check out TM 9-2320-361-10, Table 1-11, there's two and a half pages of what fuels to use in which temperature range and what have you.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just to humour the shocked @marchplumber here I'll simply point to
(have fun..)
Deuces come equipped with Mr. Fusion and use Miller High Life for fuel? Good luck with that.....maybe Canadian brew is more potent......"Good Day! Eh".....maybe its the stainless steel shell? The glasses? The current hair style? Oh the mysteries!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks