• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1st M1009

roninsar

I just purchased my 1st M1009. The man I purchased it from had already completed the fuel filter and the dog head relay conversion. He also replaced new glow plugs, new air filter, new wipers, new tires BFG 31x10.50, 2 new batteries. He also have me several containers of fuel treatment, new 31 gallon tank with new straps and sending unit, and new sylvania silver star headlights. I think I made out pretty good considering the prices today. Everything works on the truck minus the blackouts however they will not be used. Inside is in great condition. Hoping to learn more about these vehicles on this website. Looking for members in the middle TN area.

Attachments

jw4x4

There are volumes of info here specific to CUCV's and 1009's in particular. Spend every minute you can reading the TM's and forums. Absolutely anything you could ever want to know is here. Try to attend a rally or two. I highly suggest the upcoming Georgia Rally. Guaranteed to please and impress.

MarcusOReallyus

I just purchased my 1st M1009. The man I purchased it from had already completed the fuel filter and the dog head relay conversion. He also replaced new glow plugs, new air filter, new wipers, new tires BFG 31x10.50, 2 new batteries. He also have me several containers of fuel treatment, new 31 gallon tank with new straps and sending unit, and new sylvania silver star headlights. I think I made out pretty good considering the prices today. Everything works on the truck minus the blackouts however they will not be used. Inside is in great condition. Hoping to learn more about these vehicles on this website. Looking for members in the middle TN area.

Welcome and congratulations! :beer:

One thing you want to put high on your list is a headlight relay upgrade. Those Sylvania Stars draw more current than standard bulbs, and that headlight circuit is already marginal.

What the relay upgrade does is to provide relays (usually two) which are powered from a good 12v source (typically the front battery) and just use the existing headlight wiring to switch the relays. Once installed, it acts (to the user) just like the standard setup - you don't do anything different. But now, instead of the headlight current running through the existing wiring, that heavy current flows through your new wiring to the relays, and the only thing flowing through your old headlight circuit is very low current - just enough to switch the relays.

This will prolong the life of your headlight circuit, prevent damage to it from overheating, and give you more juice to your bulbs, making them brighter.

LMC Truck sells a kit that is supposed to be plug & play, or you can just wire in a few relays if you know your way around that sort of thing. One advantage of the kit is it goes in with no cutting or splicing of any existing wiring. That means you can pull it out and put it back to completely stock with no problem, and no trace.

rsh4364

Welcome aboard,I also have a 1009 and its my daily driver.Do the LMC headlight mod.Its really easy.I have the 31 gallon tank upgrade on my to do list,looks like a nice start to a great truck.