• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 700R4 Story (so far)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try to be brief but I'm kinda tickled today. So back in March of 2004 I won an Oh-9 from GL. It was a $500 boned out truck missing a door and some parts. I managed to get a good deal on a running K5 and stripped the door and tailgate off of that. The engine went back to the purchaser and I kept the 700R4 and 208 case in hopes of one day getting an Oh-8. Lots changed and the 700 was traded off for wrecker parts.

Fast forward to 2009. Papercu made me a deal on a real nice Oh-8 and I just couldn't resist. I paid it up and picked it up on the way to the GA Rally. Now I have my Oh-8 and no 700R4.

Fast forward again to 2010. I'm sure many of you read the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/27571-cucv-build-here-we-go-again.html .
I gave Mike a Turbo 6.5 that ended up being sick so it was in and out of the blazer a few times. When Mike put everything together he spared no expense on assembling a stout 700R4 for it. Well, during one of the engine or transmission pulls, it somehow got dropped and broke the case. After he stopped boiling Mike used that as an excuse to do the 4L80E swap. Guess who gets the 700?

Fast forward to a couple of week ago to me finding the TV linkage in a junk yard. Now that I have found the elusive link, I start getting all of my junk in a row. I found another 700R4/208 combo on CL and bought it for $200. Good, now I won't have to swap input shafts on my 208 and I have a case. Not a day later I find another 700 out of a 2wd for just $75 so I grab that too. Now I'm looking online for a good deal on a TV cable when I stumble across a Chevy Dealership selling a brand new 700 case on Ebay. After a couple of days I find that I now own a NEW case for my built but ailing 700. Got this for only $99. After winning this and while doing my due research I then find out that between 86 and 87 there was a case change. Both of my recent purchases were 90and 91 cases and the old one an 83 case (but 30 spline input shaft). Low and behold this new case was the right one.

Well, today the case arrived. UPS managed to get it here without breaking it and after inspection it was more than I hoped for. Cases from 4x4s are a little different. They have a big "K" on the side and the dust cover area is tapped for the cast dust cover with the struts to the engine. This case was designed to do both and even has the directions on modding it to work with the sheetmetal cover. I have no idea how many places this case has been, I see 2 different dealerships and warehouses on the box. I'm dang sure glad to have it though. A few pics attached and I'm hoping the 700 swap is soon.

Attachments

Troll1216

Well, looks like you are now THE busy guy, especially since I'm back on the injured roster for an indefinite ammount of time...

If you need a supervisor (heckler/one handed parts fetcher) let me know.

Troll1216

Or walk for that matter, Surfing the web is all I can do, and I can't even type fast..... It was a Nissan Titan, not a car....

And someone was watching out for me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[FONT=&quot]700 r4 gets a bad rap but it moves my 7000lb gmc down the road at 70 just fine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]it will be a nice change for a m1008 to get a OD. [/FONT]
So true. I defend it when I can but truthfully, it keeps the prices low for me!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks