• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

my Deuce sprung a leak today

fredrader

I was running up the freeway this morning(I 75) and it looked like I blew an engine at a NASCAR rase..Steam and antifreeze up on the windshield and out both sides of the hood :eek: Anyway after pulling over and checking the situation out I find the lower hose blew (Kinda) after removing it I found a cut about an inch and a half long in the hose where it is at its closest point to the engine..It didn't look like it was close enough to the engine to rub but there was a cut anyway..I went to 2 auto parts stores and no one had a hose close enough to work.. I went to tractor supply and they had no hose but they did have duck tape :?: ..I proceeded to clean the hose and wrap it about 12 times and put it back on..After adding 7gal of water I put the cap on half way and drove it the 6 or 7 miles home without any problem..I will be keeping that role of tape in the truck from now on..Now I need to figure out the best place to buy 3 lower radiator hoses since they are not available localy..I will check Satern,Memphis,etc and see who has the deal..
Oh,I opened the petcock on the bottom of the radiator and drained the water I was wondering if there was still enough water in the block etc to hurt anything if it gets cold enough to freeze before I get the new hose installed???

bomar76

There is a Carquest # for the lower hose.....I don't have it handy, but I'll look for it. There should be a Carquest store somewhere near you.

bomar76

It's not supposed to get very cold here at all till Tuesday....30 degress tuesday night, so you are good to go. Don't worry about a freeze.

bomar76

Let me know how much dinero they are....we didn't replace ours when we did all the other work, old one looked great and ya gotta draw the line somewhere, but I think next spring we will swap all the hoses out.
Glad I could help, Fred!

bomar76

Wow, sounds like you are good to go!
I imagine they also fit something a little more popular than our deuces..whatever it is, I am glad.
I'll pick one up next time I am near the NAPA wharehouse in Dublin.

fredrader

Well I went and picked up the 2 lower hoses today from NAPA..The NAPA# is 7423 and is $17 each.It fit and seems to be bent in a different way than the hose that was on my deuce..I figured out what cut my old hose too..It must have been rubbing the harmonic balancer and finally cut thru..Anyway the new hose is bent in a way that this won't happen again..I will post some pics..

Attachments

fredrader

No,I just used 50/50 regular old green stuff.The same stuff we use in our big cummins engines in all 250 semi trucks we have at work.That is what was in it when I got it..The stuff that leaked out was really clean and looked to be fresh..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get some "Cooltrak" test strips to check your coolant. Gives you info on acidity and freeze protection in seconds. The coolant "wears out" in about 2-3 years regardless if you run the truck or not.

Bjorn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks