• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My first Deuce...

Jakob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ewitem=&item=150226592214&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Here is my first Deuce. My wife doesn't know I won it yet, haha. She thought I was kidding when I told her I was getting it. I'm getting her something too, so it'll all equal out. Now with the kidding aside, I need some help here. I have SOME experience w/ the 5tons while I was in the USMC. It was mostly driving, not much maint. What can I expect on a road trip with this truck?
The PO only used it around his land, says he never drove it more than 10 miles at a time. Also, it doesn't have a title, only a bill of sale. Is that good enough for me to drive it home on the road? I've read the list here about what to bring to pick up a vehicle. I'm more concerned with what I may encounter en route to bringing this home. I'll have a chase vehicle driven by a friend of mine to haul some essentials.
Thank you for any help I can get!

drthunder33

You may need to contact a title company to get a title for it in order to be road legal. There are posts here with links to help.

Follow the helpful "great deuce pickup" post and that should take care of most of it.

Good luck with your new purchase. Have fun and take pics of the recovery.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your purchase! Secure the lug wrench and make sure the cargo canvas is secured well. You wouldn't want them to fly off while motoring and cause an accident.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I cannot reach Egay from work. Where is the truck you bought at? When are you going to get it? I will be swinging through the area soon.

Congrats on the purchase. Looks like you got a good deal. [thumbzup]
We recently brought back some trucks from indianapolis to Alabama. we just took a chase vehicle up and drove them back home. Also going back later this week to indy to get another one and drive it back home also. I would take you a chase truck and some tools, fluids with you. Call your insurance company get some put on it, and grab the bill of sale. That should make you legal enough to get it home. As per a bill of sale you have so many days to get a license plate on a vehicle. As far as getting a title on a vehicle with only a bill of sale. I would call your DMV and see. Here in alabama we can title a vehicle that way, but im not sure how it is in KY.

Either way good luck with the recovery

Jakob

I was told only a bill of sale is needed to title a vehicle in KY. I haven't heard that directly from the DMV here though. For those of you who can't see the ad, the truck is in Lindale, Georgia. Talking to the PO a little more, this is what he had to say...
"I DROVE IT HOME THE DAY THAT I TRADED FOR IT IT DID AS IT SHOULD. DID PUT 1 NEW BATTERY IN IT. IT HAS THE HERCULES NONTURBO ENGINE I THINK IT IS MULTIFUEL.YOU MAY NEED TO GO TO A TIRESTORE & GET THE TIRE PRESSURE CHECKED IN THE TIRES."
There was some miscommunication about the status of the truck. However, the pictures make it look pretty good. I searched around the site for any info on the Hercules non-turbo engine, but I couldn't find anything. I may just not be looking for the right words. I plan on following the post about picking up a Deuce... bringing fluids and such that's on the list.
Thanks for the encouragement. It's always nice getting into something where you can get a hold helpful people.

Aaron

Rattlehead

Jakob said:
Here is my first Deuce. My wife doesn't know I won it yet, haha. She thought I was kidding when I told her I was getting it. I'm getting her something too, so it'll all equal out.
Are you getting her a deuce as well? :D

Jakob

Rattlehead said:
Jakob said:
Here is my first Deuce. My wife doesn't know I won it yet, haha. She thought I was kidding when I told her I was getting it. I'm getting her something too, so it'll all equal out.
Are you getting her a deuce as well? :D
She can't even drive a stick or maneuver a Dodge Durango... I'd fear for OTHER peoples lives is she got behind the wheel of a deuce, haha.

gimpyrobb

RE: Re: My first Deuce...

So, it looks like the slobber tube is ducted to the air filter. I would order a new one and bring it with me. Then after you take the tube off the air filter housing, put in the new one.

Capt.Marion

The Hercules non-turbo is a standard Deuce motor (LDT 465, all the same whether made by White, Hercules, Continental, etc...) without a turbo.

FreightTrain

Banned

actually,the non turbo is the LD-465.LDT-465 is the turbo version and they were standard also but later production.Around the early 70s they came turboed to shut the EPA UP.

davidkroberts

i got my MV titled in tennessee with a bill of sale only. Check with the DMV website because the local office usually doesnt have a clue. Insurance is not as bad as you might think mines through State Farm but Gulfway Insurance is a great company with good rates.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe your wife will like the pink stripes :wink: . Other than that it's a good looking truck. It's a 10K winch not a 20K as the add states by the way. It's got some wierd looking mirror brackets also.

nattieleather

The truck needs some TLC....First thing you have to do once you get it home is repaint it with proper military paint....OD or Cammo but make sure its right....that paint job is just gay...You drive it much like that and everyone is going to think your limp wristed....:D

But just looking at the pics it does need some TLC....I would get the manuals and read them over and then follow the maintence proceedures and go over it with a fine toothed comb so to speak. This way you'll know what's wrong, what's right and what needs your attention. Remember you PMCS? Still gotta do it on these trucks.

Jakob

I didn't think it was a 20k winch, but I wasn't too concerned about the weight, it still ahs one there!

I'm planning the trip down to get it now. It'll probably be a month before I can actually get down there. I'll be downloading and printing out the service manuals so I can reference them. If I get froggy, I'll even laminate them so they last a little longer.
I wasn't too thrilled with the paint job either, but it's just that... paint. I can do that whenever I want and it's not too much of a pain to deal with. I'm going to paint it OD first, but I want to finish it off w/ a Vietnam like tiger stripe design. I'm sure I've seen Deuce's w/ this scheme on them before.
I believe the mirrors are off of a 3/4-1ton pickup, but I can't really tell from the pictures. Those are also an easy fix for the most part. I probably overly "PM" all of my vehicles. So taking care of this truck won't be anything different. Just have a few other items to take care of that aren't on civilian vehicles.

gimpyrobb

Re: RE: Re: My first Deuce...

Jakob said:
Is the slobber tube going from the top of the valve cover?
Yes, take it off the air filter housing and just let it dangle next to the axle.

Jakob

RE: Re: RE: Re: My first Deuce...

With the trick about removing the air filter to start up, then using a 2x4 to shut it down... does that apply to the non-turbo version?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks