• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My HMMWV Restoration

Sheridan

I won my 1992 HMMWV on December 2. I was cleared to pick it up on March 15. The Govplanet description was very accurate. Im quite disappointed however that I paid extra for a Title and now that has been delayed. I feel that if you paid for a title you should automatically be sent an SF97 to prove ownership until the Title issue is resolved. Back to the truck, I was surprised that the batteries were charged, the 6.5 started right up. I feel very lucky reading some of the disappointments with other purchases. The fluids all looked good, but I still serviced it. This was a troop carrier but I wanted a 4 door. The rear seats were folded down and did not appear to have ever been used. Flipped them up, removed the side panels, and instant 4 door! I found a new top, doors, and mounting hardware on eBay ($1695). I removed pretty much everything on the body and interior and got to work. I did some sanding where the paint chipped to blend it in, then primed that area to cover any bare metal. The CARC paint made for a great primer elsewhere. I uncovered an Airborne symbol on the lower front fenders. I wanted to preserve any info about the vehicles history so I took pictures of everything I could find indicating where it was and what it was used for. As for paint color, I removed a large chip of the original paint from inside the vehicle and took it to Sherwin Williams. They matched the color up perfect and mixed it in their "All Surface Enamel" in Satin. If you opt for this make sure the chip of paint is larger than a Quarter so they can get an accurate scan. I thinned the paint by approximately 10% with mineral spirits and sprayed the truck with an Ingersoll Rand HPLV Gravity Fed Gun (Tractor Supply $98. I was concerned that the paint would not flow through it, but i opening the paint flow control all the way it worked great. Takes quite a few passes to cover, but taking your time, letting the paint tack up, and keep moving made for a great end result. I have really enjoyed working on the truck! I spent a lot of time researching what to do, so I thought that I would share some of the success that I have had. Best of luck with your project! 20160506_104347.jpg20160502_130052.jpg20160323_094553.jpg

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
44th Medical Brigade, 261st Multi-functional Medical Battalion. I probably saw it driving around.

Sheridan

Thanks for the info bikeman. We also found the Name "1LT CODRARO" on the truck. It may have been Mike lol. Actually thats the first thing I thought when I uncovered the symbol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks