• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My New M1009

ssdvc

All,

I picked up my new, to me, M1009 from Rick (CUCVRUS). It is my second M1009 and I have learned quite a bit since I purchased my first in May of 2011. I waited this long to post something because I really wanted to live with the new truck for awhile and see what I got. I have also been a bit busy lately, as life seems to go in different directions at the drop of a hat.

The first thing I want to say is that this site is invaluable for a military truck owner and I am grateful for it. I have met a lot of really good folks through here and have learned a lot. Good help, tips, ideas and instruction abound.

Second, I am fully aware that we are buying 30 year old plus vehicles and no matter how much work goes into them, something always can, and will, break or fail or just plain wear out, more likely sooner than later. ****, if you want perfect, by a new truck (yeah, right).

Next, there is quite the difference in the quality of vehicles, the workmanship/details that are put into some of the restorations of these trucks and the integrity of individuals selling them, on this site, as well as others. Just because something looks good, doesn't mean it is. The old adage about putting lipstick on a pig comes to mind. You have got to look closely at what you are buying, as well as the person you are buying it from. What do they have going on? Anyone else dealing with them that can speak to the quality of their work (how about a few years down the line ??)? What work have they done and how deep and how far do they get into these trucks? It really does matter.

Now a little bit about my new truck. As with the first one, I have been all over it since I got her home. I have looked in every corner of this truck, underneath and on top. The attention to detail is simply outstanding. I couldn't find one thing to bring to Ricks attention that was an issue with his work, which was not the case with my first purchase. The difference between my first truck and this one is vast. Everything on this new one works as it should. It appears that things were completely taken apart, examined and if it wasn't right, it was properly fixed or replaced and put back right. There were no cutting corners. New nuts and bolts are all over, mainly because things were really taken apart and worked on. There is a real Line-X'd interior and no rust..... anywhere. I went to a small Military Truck show a little while back and none of the CUCV's there even came close. The attention to the little things screams out at you. My first drive was over 5 hours (back to CT) and this truck drove very well, with all systems working as they should. All in all a really nice, well done and well sorted M1009.

What you say, no issues ? Well, yes, there have been one or two, but none of them had anything to do with what Rick did or his workmanship, unlike my first truck. Two weeks ago, my rear window crank assembly decided to break while I was moving my mother's things out of her apartment. When I went and tore the tailgate apart to fix the crank. I was astonished to see how clean it was inside and the detail of the work that had been done by Rick. The inside tailgate cover came off with ease (all new crews and the cover had been Line-X's separately) and everything inside was lubed and in proper working order. The only other issue I had was that I noticed a slow leak in the brand new radiator that Rick installed as part of the rehab of this truck. I emailed Rick and he immediately let me know he will work with me to get a new unit and install it, no problem. Great comms and even though the truck doesn't come with any type of guarantee whatsoever (hey, it's a used truck), Rick will talk and work with you to make it right. It shows he has and takes pride in his work. Thanks Rick, keep up the great work.

OK, I have babbled on enough. I'll try and post a few pics of my new truck tomorrow.

Ordak

Yeah I am like you with my first m1009, it is what I would call a "learning m1009". I am fixing problem areas and trying to restore this thing to mechanically sound then diving into the body work and final touches. Currently working on transmission issues (cooling and pan), glow plug issues(fixing with manual push button), and a few other misc. things. I will say even though it is not perfect I have a smile on my face every time I drive it. I do a bunch of research on here before starting a project because even though I know what I want to do, I find out what will work and what will not. I do not plan on skimping out and "just making it work" but I want to make it right. It might take more money, time, and effort but it will be worth it once I am complete.

cucvrus

I am putting all my CUCV's up for sale in a few months. I am down sizing my fleet and going to consolidate. Maybe move onto something different. I have 1 posted and for sale on the internet.

ssdvc

Ok, Ok........first are the pics of the tailgate area. Had to go in and replace the window crank. They are not very well made. Had to buy the actual handle from LMC $50 !! (OUCH), but I needed it asap. Bummer that it is chrome, but I'll get around to fixing that.

Attachments

ssdvc

This is the truck itself, with some quick underneath shots. I also added a pic of my first truck, sitting alone, begging to be fixed.

Attachments

ssdvc

I am putting all my CUCV's up for sale in a few months. I am down sizing my fleet and going to consolidate. Maybe move onto something different. I have 1 posted and for sale on the internet.
That is a bummer Rick, hope all is good. Whoever buys your stuff will get a good product.

I'll save my dollars as I still am interested in the sleeper in the barn.

cucvrus

All is well I just have some interests in some other things and want to down size. I am getting a brand new 4 door 8 FT bed Chevy pickup. Sort of a more useful and versatile vehicle with more comfort and safety. Basically a big change for the better. Less work for me. Besides the Grand children don't need to crawl over seats and such. You know what I mean?

Last edited:

fitz

Rick,
hopefully you still check in here from time to time to offer advice. I don't have many post on this site, but I am on here daily and your post have helped me keep my trucks running great.
Thank you.

cucvrus

Thank you. I appreciate that. I truly try to help out and keep it simple, basis and cost effective. I have succeeded in keeping several CUCV's running for over 20+ years. That means a lot just to be appreciated. Thank you. I still have so many CUCV projects to complete and start. I think it will take me a few years to purge my CUCV vehicles and parts inventory. But I just need to make a little room at this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks