• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M1101 and Jeep!

bricksrkids

I love this trailer! It's a 2010 M1101 that looks like it was never put into service. No scratches at all. The tires still have the mold strings (tits).

It pulls very well. I was surprised how well it pulls behind my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I was getting about 16 MPG's in ATL traffic hauling it home.

It might be a keeper.
20140826_191034.jpg

Bill

goldneagle

Nice looking rig. I am picking up mine in the morning. Same deal, looks like it was never used. Going to tow it behind my M1008.

maxtor

We have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Also have a 2011 M1101 and three 1988 M116a3 trailers. We have not pulled our M1101 with our Jeep yet, but you give us hope that it will not be a problem.
Pulling the 800 lb. M116a3 trailers is no problem with our Rubicons.
Since both of our M1101 trailers have aluminum beds, I hope that they are not easily damaged with cargo. I might give ours a workout soon hauling firewood. Maybe placing the wood and not throwing it in might help.
Keep us informed on how your trailer is working out. It looks good.

P1010119.jpg011.jpg

bricksrkids

One thing I forgot to mention is how tall my JK is. I have a 3" lift and run 315/70-17 which is about 34.5" tall. My JK came with the tow kit, but I have always ran a 5" Uhaul extension to get the hitch passed the spare tire. This is what I use: http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...eiver-Extension-UHaul-2-To-2-8-Length?id=9769

For the pintle set up, I used the Northern Tool 12" tall pintle mount: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200442409_200442409 And then install this 5-ton pintle: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514187_200514187

One thing I had to do was make some safety chains that could attach to the trailers chains and then to my Jeep. The M1101 chains were too short to reach the JK. So I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of chains with some connections. It cost me $20 and works perfect.

I would think a stock height Jeep will have a trailer pointing down too much. I used the second from the highest pintle mount hitch. So I could go up 2 inches more if needed. So if you have stock 32" tires + stock ride height, you'll be 5.5" lower than me to begin with.

Bill

maxtor

Looks like you have all the problems solved. Below is what I did to get the 2" standard hitch on our 1101. Since our jeep is stock height, our pintle setup will not work for our Jeep. It does work for our F250 pickup. The smaller 5k pintle was to small for our military lunette, so I purchased the 16k pintle from etrailer.com so it would not bind and bend our plate.
Using the smaller pintle, it would bind when backing up on uneven ground and bend the plate.

I also had to add length to the safety chains. When I remove the three 1/2 inch bolts, the standard 2" hitch comes off, so you can use the pintle.

P1010255.jpg

Last edited:

bricksrkids

I picked up my second m1101 today. A big thanks to Ron in GA for helping me lift the tongue off the ground. The truck center was having fork lift problems so we had to use man power to hook it up.

This trailer is just as nice as the camo one. I can't believe how nice these are. I even found a CD-rom behind the support legs that appears to have a manual on it. The legs have never been removed from the trailer so the foam shipping material was holding up the cd and some paperwork.

I have Ron the cd, so maybe he'll post what's on it.

Bill

Attachments

maxtor

You got a bargain. Ours was over $850. Still a trailer that the Government paid $8985 for, to purchase for less than a thousand dollars is a great deal. Remember each tire sells for $720 on the internet.

bricksrkids

You got a bargain. Ours was over $850. Still a trailer that the Government paid $8985 for, to purchase for less than a thousand dollars is a great deal. Remember each tire sells for $720 on the internet.
I agree... I got a great deal. I told my wife it sold for 10 cents on the dollar. She agreed and loves the trailer too.

Now that I have 2, one must go. I listed them for $1,495 on FeeBay and hope someone offers me $1,000 because one will be gone.

Bill

goldneagle

We have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Also have a 2011 M1101 and three 1988 M116a3 trailers. We have not pulled our M1101 with our Jeep yet, but you give us hope that it will not be a problem.
Pulling the 800 lb. M116a3 trailers is no problem with our Rubicons.
Since both of our M1101 trailers have aluminum beds, I hope that they are not easily damaged with cargo. I might give ours a workout soon hauling firewood. Maybe placing the wood and not throwing it in might help.
Keep us informed on how your trailer is working out. It looks good.

View attachment 512346View attachment 512347
You can always put a sheet of 1/2" OSB (plywood) in the bed to protect if you are worried about damaging the aluminum bed.