• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My newest turd: Jeepsinker's M49A2

Jeepsinker

Man.... I had forgotten about this thread until someone liked one of my posts on it today.

So here's what happened. My whole relationship and life fell apart and I had to get rid of this truck and the majority of everything else I had at the time. Let's just say cheating women suck..

I never did get this truck running or do any significant work to it. I do still have my main M35 and my M936A2 and a couple trailers. Lost most of my tools too. Everything I have left is packed in my M750 trailer and an S280 shelter in the back field at my cousin's house. I've been living in Korea working a contract job for the past four years. I came home last June ( 2023) for the first time and found the s280 leaking and basically everything in it ruined as well ( all my power tools, lots of parts, paint, etc).

Someday I'll get home and buy another property and build a new shop, but it's not in the cards right now. Maybe someday I'll get another M49, but I kinda doubt it at this point. Sucks starting over with no help.

HDN

Man.... I had forgotten about this thread until someone liked one of my posts on it today.

So here's what happened. My whole relationship and life fell apart and I had to get rid of this truck and the majority of everything else I had at the time. Let's just say cheating women suck..

I never did get this truck running or do any significant work to it. I do still have my main M35 and my M936A2 and a couple trailers. Lost most of my tools too. Everything I have left is packed in my M750 trailer and an S280 shelter in the back field at my cousin's house. I've been living in Korea working a contract job for the past four years. I came home last June ( 2023) for the first time and found the s280 leaking and basically everything in it ruined as well ( all my power tools, lots of parts, paint, etc).

Someday I'll get home and buy another property and build a new shop, but it's not in the cards right now. Maybe someday I'll get another M49, but I kinda doubt it at this point. Sucks starting over with no help.
I'm sorry to hear about that :( Best wishes on rebuilding!

I think it's great that you still have your deuce and the wrecker! I still haven't convinced my wife that I need a wrecker:rolleyes:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't read through so many years of posts, but in case you didn't get an answer, your truck is an early A2.. Many early A2's had the LD465 with a downspout exhaust.. When I was at FLW in the 70's there were many A2 downspout M35A2's with the LD engine, especially assigned to the Motor Transport Operator's Course training battalion.. In other motor pools you could see a few mixed in with A1 "skinny stacks" and A2 LDT "fat-stacks" .. Yes, and a couple downspout M49A2C's as well..

As these LD trucks needed new engines, I'm sure some got the LDT and changed to a stack... Not all A2's have the stack hole in the fender.. If your exhaust is a downspout, your stack-hole fender is not original to the truck.. On the other hand, LD-powered A2's with stack were out there during my time...

I would date your truck to 1966-67 original A2 since it does not have the visual features on the grille, dash, nor cab floor to indicate it had been the multifuel conversion of an older gasser ..

Same here, divorce ruined/delayed my M49C/A2C fixes as well as many other projects/plans.. Sure sucks when you have to build a whole new life/place all over again.. 16 years, I never rebuilt .. Too old now, there's no sense in it.. Am making do out in the elements with my shop in an M109A3 and most parts in trailers incl M750

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks