• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My recovery of (2) M101A3's

roady

I went to Ft Meade on Friday to recover (2) M101A3's that I won a few weeks ago. I took my 18' car trailer to bring them home and they fit on there fine. I started this thread first http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/75669-anyone-haul-2-m101a3-18-car-trailer-before.html to make sure they would fit. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. My friend that went with me and helped liked the trailers so much that he even bought the spare one from me. Each trailer cost about 460 out the door with all fees included. I didnt think that was to bad. Both trailers were rebuilt in 2006 and looks like they have never had nothing in the bed. The tires still have the nubs on them...

So can some inform me why the chassis tag says M116A3 1 ton and the body says M101A3 3/4 ton? What is the difference?

We were loaded and out of there in less than an hour with no problems. I already changed out the bulbs and put a regular 7 pin RV style plug on the trailer. The tail lights are different then any of the others I have seen. The blackout portion are LED with the brake and tail light portion still using regular bulbs. Here are a few pictures from the load out and the tail lights. Probably going to check into registering them in Maine.

Attachments

Nonotagain

The base chassis is the M116a3. Once a trailer box is mounted it takes on the nomenclature name of the box, in your case M101a3.

They are great trailers. Wide enough to have a full sized sheet of plywood or sheet rock between the wheel wells, ample load capability for more than a ton of stuff inside and ton very well.

I like the A3 trailers of both the M101 and M105 trailer series better than the A1 of A2 versions. With both the 101 and 105 being wider, they are very stable towing plus the tubeless tires are a plus.

Yes, I know that the M101a2 also uses tubeless tires.

The lights your trailer has was the last series of light produced before the full LED light change over.

Last edited:

koolex11

Looking good! The way I understand it, the M116 chassis can serve several purposes: standard box trailer (m101), genset trailer (MEP***) and probably some other stuff. Like Nonotagain stated, once you bolt something on top of the chassis, it takes a new name.

I have never had an A3. I have had an A1 and some A2's. The A3's are supposed to be much heavier (15-1700 lbs compared to 12-1300 for the A1-A2) but have more bed space, more ground clearance (offset chassis), they have the extra gussets on the side walls for support and they are newer! Not to mention the cool tires.

I think one would look very cool in Ford Excursion Red:wink:

Attachments

connordanny

Looks like a smooth transition.
I've used these guys for Maine plates before: Staab Agency and they were easy to work with.

I'll be going to pick up a M101A3 from Ft Meade in the next 35 days or so depending on my EUC. I work 18 minutes away from Ft. Meade and was trying to determine if I could do the recovery on my lunch break if I am just hooking up to my pintle hitch and sticking on my magnetic lights. Was it a pretty quick turnaround in there? Would I be really pushing it by allowing myself only 24 minutes inside the gates?

12vman

wondering where RealCavDog is since this is a continuation of another thread and according to him should of been posted in the original.

Buehler????

roady

I've used these guys for Maine plates before: Staab Agency and they were easy to work with.

I'll be going to pick up a M101A3 from Ft Meade in the next 35 days or so depending on my EUC. I work 18 minutes away from Ft. Meade and was trying to determine if I could do the recovery on my lunch break if I am just hooking up to my pintle hitch and sticking on my magnetic lights. Was it a pretty quick turnaround in there? Would I be really pushing it by allowing myself only 24 minutes inside the gates?
I think you would be cutting it close in time but not by much. When I did pick up my single trailer they had it sitting there and ready to hook up and go. Just give them a call and and see what they say. They are pretty good to work with.

Ressoldier

I am confused... I started this thread and it was no continuation of another....

Roady- congrats on the smooth recovery. I hope the build out of your trailers goes well and look forward to progress pictures. Your thread is not a continuation. I believe what 12Vman is saying is that people talking about the Maine registration might be considered talking about an existing thread. Recently he(12Vman) has been chastised for starting threads on topics that have been covered in depth in prior threads. He also gets very defensive and antagonistic when some of the senior guys talk to him about using search or to just post in an existing thread of same topic. Look at his posts and you will see. I will say some of the senior members could be a little more polite.

12Vman- if you have issue with me explaining please PM me instead of cluttering up someone elses thread.

koolex11

I think you would be cutting it close in time but not by much. When I did pick up my single trailer they had it sitting there and ready to hook up and go. Just give them a call and and see what they say. They are pretty good to work with.
They have several guys working there and they are usually on top of things. Once they had to dig mine out of a pile, but it only took a few minutes. You will still probably cut it close with 24 minutes...good luck!

KsM715

wondering where RealCavDog is since this is a continuation of another thread and according to him should of been posted in the original.

Buehler????

nothing against you...I would of done the same thing

the hypocrisy of some old time posters on this board knows no bounds.....

You understand we do not like "open air" bad mouthing of other site members on this forum. If you have something to discuss with RealCavDog take it up with him.

As with all things in life there are something you do in private (pm's) and somethings you do in public. I'm sure I have been mentioned in a PM or 2 between members. If I don't see it it doesn't bother me. Do it in a public forum and your going to get a response, and that usually ends up the the thread getting deleted or locked. Thats not fair to the OP. The only reason this reply is not in a PM is so anyone "lurking" here will see it and understand it.
What you are doing is nothing more than trying to stir up trouble. That always end badly.

Last edited:

12vman

You understand we do not like "open air" bad mouthing of other site members on this forum. If you have something to discuss with RealCavDog take it up with him.

HMMMM like the "open air" smart azz comments directed towards me for not using the "search " function????

I would of appreciated a PM also......again the hypocrisy

As with all things in life there are something you do in private (pm's) and somethings you do in public. I'm sure I have been mentioned in a PM or 2 between members. If I don't see it it doesn't bother me. Do it in a public forum and your going to get a response, and that usually ends up the the thread getting deleted or locked. Thats not fair to the OP. The only reason this reply is not in a PM is so anyone "lurking" here will see it and understand it.
What you are doing is nothing more than trying to stir up trouble. That always end badly.
nope just pointing out the obvious

KsM715

Did he make a comment to you, or did he go into someone elses thread and then drag your name though the mud?

There is a difference.

12vman

Did he make a comment to you, or did he go into someone elses thread and then drag your name though the mud?

There is a difference.
are we being just a little dramatic here?????

really?????" drag your name through the mud"

is that what i did???? really???

Ratch

I'd say you're cutting it close, but Justin at Ft Meade is a very nice guy and will probably be happy to help you get in and out quick.
All but once I've taken longer than expected. The time is usually my own doing, but there were a few times I had to wait for other customers to load out and my stuff to be dug out. My quickest was at Chambersburg, where I was in and out of the GL lot in literally less than 10 minutes...then sat in a parking lot doing light wiring...

You have to set an appointment, you can't really just roll in. But you could probably call and explain your situation to him, and ask if he could have it out and waiting for you to just hook up and go.

This is also assuming the trailer is road worthy immediately. If it has a flat, loose lunette, or some other issue, you're looking at more time.
You also have to figure in getting in to the base. At the commercial gate, it's taken me up to an hour to get through. At the regular gate, I got through in about 15 minutes around midday. BTW, don't bring any guns if you normally carry... ;)

If I were you, I'd budget at least an hour on base.

KsM715

12vman, you just dont get it do you?

Forget I even said anything. If you have anything more to say just go to some other thread and and complain about me there. Im done here. Sometimes it's just aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks