• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Name that part!

Pineslayer

Good evening. First timer here, I need help. Bought a '70 Kaiser M35A2, low hours, yea. It has a heater looking unit mounted under the bed, can't find info on it. Fuel line running to it, fluid hoses in/out, and the x-factor of what looks like a old heater hose coming off of the front of the engine where I planned on installing a block heater. Looks like a water heater. If it is what I think it is then I also might be able to have hot showers to get the muck off. Hot showers good. I will now attempt to post the pic. Thanks for any help in identifying this for me. The truck did come from SD National Guard, rumor has it. Can I talk about my new son? Great shape, 30K, 1050 hours, little rust, and endless potential. Preaching to the choir. My daughters think it's cool, even the wife smiles at it, life is good. So much know
ledge and info here that I know someone can set me straight.

Attachments

Good evening. First timer here, I need help. Bought a '70 Kaiser M35A2, low hours, yea. It has a heater looking unit mounted under the bed, can't find info on it. Fuel line running to it, fluid hoses in/out, and the x-factor of what looks like a old heater hose coming off of the front of the engine where I planned on installing a block heater. Looks like a water heater. If it is what I think it is then I also might be able to have hot showers to get the muck off. Hot showers good. I will now attempt to post the pic. Thanks for any help in identifying this for me. The truck did come from SD National Guard, rumor has it. Can I talk about my new son? Great shape, 30K, 1050 hours, little rust, and endless potential. Preaching to the choir. My daughters think it's cool, even the wife smiles at it, life is good. So much know
ledge and info here that I know someone can set me straight.

Looks like a military style flux capacitor. :grin:

Have you tried looking in the TM's to identify it?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thats an old style fuel-fired coolant heater. It warms the truck's motor before you start it. Piss-poor placement though.

Pineslayer

General Wreck, don't I wish, although it does take me back when I'm driving it. I am printing out and pouring through the TM's.

Pineslayer

gimpyrobb, thanks. That sounds correct and what I thought it may be. I will either build a shroud or move it to under the hood I guess. Hope to try and get it working soon and see if it is worth the effort of hooking up. Thanks

eagle4g63

If you look around here for some of my posts, you will see that I have one that I installed on my other deuce, and how it was intended to be installed.........you might want to think about mounting it horizontally as they were suppose to be installed. Might work better that way. Up by you it might help with cold starting but I can say they do like battery juice and you need to make sure you have very good batteries if you plan on using it as a motor heater "before" you start the truck. They were also used to maintain the engine heat when the truck was in Arctic cold and the truck would be idling for a while.

Pineslayer

Thanks eagle4g63. The batteries suck right now, but new ones are in the works. Still don't like the idea of having them drain too much. I will be running a circuit out to the parking area this spring, could hook up a trickle charger and then the block heater, sooo I will be pondering the set up.

eagle4g63

Now here is a little crazy of an idea.......since you are going to use a regular block heater(which will take care of cold starts) than you could get your hands on a standard coolant heater and plumb it into this heater.....water line wise.........then when you run the arctic coolant heater it will heat the water for the other heater very, very hot and a whole lot faster than waiting for the motor to ever get hot enough to get heat out of it..........I know a little wacky but it would work.........or just use all the stuff off this heater but the unit itself and get the other arctic heater like I have and just heat the truck with that............

I gotta say, I LOVE having a 30,000 BTU heater blowing hot air into the truck just minutes after starting the truck.......Like the commercial says: "it's like a sauna up in here"

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pine, you need to see if there is a circulation pump on there somewhere. That old style doesn't have one built into it and it requires one to work.

eagle4g63

Hey gimpy.......how would you tell the difference? from the pic it looks like mine only looking at the back side of it........If he could get a pic of the front with the tag it would help......

Attachments

Pineslayer

The "block" heater I have is actually a coolant heater as it plugs into the same hole as the unit I have. So I have a crazy idea, use the old unit to warm the cab and the back (when it gets a cover or hooch). That is after I now search for a circulating pump, dang it.

eagle4g63

So the one I have is also one without a pump!! well that is just plain great.........I did get this with the entire arctic kit for my truck, every nut and bolt included.......why in the heck would they not have a pump with the kit then to use this thing? I guess good thing I didn't have to use it, I just tried it a couple of times to see how it would be........

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The coolant heater does not need a pump. It is mounted below the engine coolant jacket and works on convection only, just like the electric ones.
However, there is a circulation pump that is used in some installations for extreme cold conditions, but not needed for normal operation.

Pineslayer

cranetruck, thanks for that info. A post above stated that they were supposed to be mounted horizontally instead of the current vertical mount, should I remount it? In its current location it is below or close to engine level. Also, what do you think about trying to find a spot in the engine compartment? There really aren't many options as far as spots to mount this that are low. I have to say that this site rocks, but my wife is getting jealous.

Pineslayer

Thanks cranetruck now I have even more to consider. Don't like the idea of moving batts into cab. Thinking of mounting it horizontally, same spot, installing a second fuel tank below it in the place of the spare. Time to look around for a circulating pump, wish I could find a diesel powered one :) I will have to go outside and stare it down for awhile and see what visions I have, I think copious amounts of Jager might help with the visions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks