• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need another my deuce got me home story?

91W350

A fellow member, Cookieman, bought a M109 at Riley. He had the misfortune of coming through on my day off, so I volunteered to go help him. He claims he is new to military vehicles, but he did a whole lot of fixing on his own!

I left town early this morning, cruising east on I-70 with my ear plugs in. I had just gone through the deuce yesterday, I thought all was well. About 30 miles in, just east of Abilene, close to Chapman, I hear a high pitched squeal. That is never good!

I pop out the ear plugs, check the instruments, all looks good, no noises, no smoke, not a thing. Roll up the ear plugs and stuff them back in. Squeal!!!! That I am begging for relief squeal that fan felts make when something has gone foul.

Next step is the cab full of burning rubber smell. Yep, I am sure I have live roasted a belt. Steady eye on the temperature and it is rock solid. There is a rest area a few miles ahead, motor on.... The volt meter loses a little ground, so I shut off the head lights. Roll into the rest area, pop the hood, sure enough, the outside belt is ripped to shreds.

The generator is not turning, the inside belt is still on.... crapola, now what? I really want to help these guys out, so close the hood and take off for Riley. I watch the temp and it never goes up, how long can a belt slip over a seized generator?

I make it to the gate, get on base, pull up to the lot across from GL and let her idle to cool down, then shut down. It is 0800, M109 time is 0900.

A few cool things go by, one is a brand new in the wooden crate Pribbs bed for a M105 trailer.

0900 and no Cookieman.....

0915 and no Cookieman.....

0918 and I am calling Cookieman, thinking he must be on Mountain time! They are already inside and are strapping down two M105s behind his Toyota.

Rebecca comes to the gate, gets me signed in and assigned a tag, we go back to completing the M105 chore.

Off to the deuce....

She is looking kind of rough sitting there, back door open, both cab doors blowing in the breeze, left front tire flat....

Open the battery box and it is a crusty mess, good thing they brought new batteries....

Go through the fluids, fix a few things....

You can read that here.... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/67567-anybody-win-ft-riley-3.html#post840869

Get back to my deuce and fire it up for the trip home. I am sweating bullets, I just know this thing is going to puke anytime.

We drive through some rain, roll into Salina and fill both trucks with #2.

The M109 is running good enough, we decide to give the overloaded Tundra a break and move a trailer to the M109.

My belt got me home! Now to search out a replacement for my locked up generator. I never had that issue before.... a little recovery video and the belt still slipping, 100 miles or so later, in my back yard. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FLwBpYdCQg[/media]

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That alternator does look frozen for sure. Be glad you don't actually have the old generator as they are expensive to replace or upgrade to the 60A alternator that you have currently. And then you need a conversion kit as well as the alt.

Are you going to look for a 60A alt replacement or upgrade to newer, lighter aftermarket model?

91W350

I think I am going to take the cheap way out and try the new after market alternator, unless I can source a reasonable used one. Glen

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While I do have a spare alt I could take with me, that would be yet ANOTHER spare part to find a place for. I wonder how hard it would be to put a bearing in a pulley so I could continue on with out fear of burning up my belts. Guess I have another project to do.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A fellow member, Cookieman, bought a M109 at Riley. He had the misfortune of coming through on my day off, so I volunteered to go help him. He claims he is new to military vehicles, but he did a whole lot of fixing on his own!

I left town early this morning, cruising east on I-70 with my ear plugs in. I had just gone through the deuce yesterday, I thought all was well. About 30 miles in, just east of Abilene, close to Chapman, I hear a high pitched squeal. That is never good!

I pop out the ear plugs, check the instruments, all looks good, no noises, no smoke, not a thing. Roll up the ear plugs and stuff them back in. Squeal!!!! That I am begging for relief squeal that fan felts make when something has gone foul.

Next step is the cab full of burning rubber smell. Yep, I am sure I have live roasted a belt. Steady eye on the temperature and it is rock solid. There is a rest area a few miles ahead, motor on.... The volt meter loses a little ground, so I shut off the head lights. Roll into the rest area, pop the hood, sure enough, the outside belt is ripped to shreds.

The generator is not turning, the inside belt is still on.... crapola, now what? I really want to help these guys out, so close the hood and take off for Riley. I watch the temp and it never goes up, how long can a belt slip over a seized generator?

I make it to the gate, get on base, pull up to the lot across from GL and let her idle to cool down, then shut down. It is 0800, M109 time is 0900.

A few cool things go by, one is a brand new in the wooden crate Pribbs bed for a M105 trailer.

0900 and no Cookieman.....

0915 and no Cookieman.....

0918 and I am calling Cookieman, thinking he must be on Mountain time! They are already inside and are strapping down two M105s behind his Toyota.

Rebecca comes to the gate, gets me signed in and assigned a tag, we go back to completing the M105 chore.

Off to the deuce....

She is looking kind of rough sitting there, back door open, both cab doors blowing in the breeze, left front tire flat....

Open the battery box and it is a crusty mess, good thing they brought new batteries....

Go through the fluids, fix a few things....

You can read that here.... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/67567-anybody-win-ft-riley-3.html#post840869

Get back to my deuce and fire it up for the trip home. I am sweating bullets, I just know this thing is going to puke anytime.

We drive through some rain, roll into Salina and fill both trucks with #2.

The M109 is running good enough, we decide to give the overloaded Tundra a break and move a trailer to the M109.

My belt got me home! Now to search out a replacement for my locked up generator. I never had that issue before.... a little recovery video and the belt still slipping, 100 miles or so later, in my back yard. Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FLwBpYdCQg[/media]
[thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup] Your a real troop, Glen! Thanks for sharing and the pics!

91W350

I am not sure what it is about going to get the unknown truck, but I sure enjoy working on them and getting them rolling. I had a blast! Even if my truck got a little sick, I am sure it will make a miraculous recovery soon.....

Cookieman and his partner in crime, Zach, a great 16 year old son that I was glad to get to meet, made it to Oklahoma without issue. They holed up for the night at Blackwell OK. They should be through OK City before noon, heading on down to Texas. I wish I could have hung out with them all the way, just for the adventure of it. They are very nice people, this hobby seems to attract its share of good people.... Glen

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen when we were emailing back and forth yesterday AM my thoughts were a littl bit bleak but like I said then UNCOMMON sense prevailed, GOOD JOB My Friend the old girl got both of you home safe! We have to remember to add thsi one to our Grilling celebrations this summer my Friend!
KK

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a spare alternator here in OKC. Are you still coming down next weekend for the parade?

91W350

I figured I would get it home, my first stop was going to be an auto parts store to find a belt I could barely stretch over the crank and fan pulleys, buy two of them and head on home. It was cool enough and I was going to be moving, I really did not need the fan, if I had to, I could have pulled the fan and just run a water pump. All that thinking of options and she made it home anyway. I think I will do some research on that emergency belt length and throw a pair in the road pack.

I had a Z/28 once that was very hard to keep the crank/alt/fan belt on. (Turning it over 8 grand may have something to do with it) I installed double pulleys on the water pump and crankshaft, power steering pulleys, which my Z did not have. I played with belts until I found one I could just barely roll into that fan slot with the fan bolts loose and over the crank pulley. It had no tensioner, but it stayed there and kept the pump turning at least. It also greatly reduced the pitching of the alternator belt. Now they sell small crank pulleys and over sized accessory pulleys to slow that belt down.

I would have figured out a way to keep the deuce rolling, but she made it..... Yes Karl, a cold beer or two, a nice steak, some grilled potatoes, a dog or two to rest our elbows on, a nice sunset... a few stories... come on down! Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks