• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need info on my motor!

Trudge

I am a Cummins freek! so loving a truck without a cummins is something of a conflict to me! so much so that i have considering selling my m35a2 just to get a five ton with a cummins.
I have decided though to be a little rationale though and decide to fine out as much about my 465 motor as i can.
All I know is it is a Herculyes mulri fule with a D turbo.................can you guys pls tell me as much as you can about it? I know it must be a good motor, i just dont know a thing about it and its killing me!
used to have a old ford with a cummins 4bt and i knew every part number , clearance , tolerance etc!!!!!!!!!lol

PS I am a mobile welder fabricator wich is what im usng my truck for so if any one needs any thing dont to there trucks and is a member I will be more than willing to help them out, maybe do some horse traiding for parts or something!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This site feeds all sorts of MV addictions, so wanting to know specs by heart is an easy one. Just go to "Resources" - "Technical Manuals" (see the bar on top, under the steel soldiers logo) and pick the TM9-2320-209 series of manuals! -20 and -34 have a lot and there is an engine specific one, too (someone will chime in with the exact number).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering that my deuces have been running on tablescraps for years now, I just don't think I can go back to actually buying fuel. That aspect alone keeps me away from any other powerplant. The multifuel has been covered ad nauseum here. I'll try to dig up some threads.

GoHot229

Well a fiew things..... They came in three configurations that I know of.... the 'D' and the 'C' turbo. The 'C' being the whistler. The boys here favor the whistler for the sound, nothing quite as sweet as the sound of a 'C' spooling up with a definate whistle, in either straight pipe or Napa muffle'd, either sounding good when the wail starts. However the boys will also point out that the 'D' turbo is of a better design with the bearings I believe, thus actually a better unit. There were a couple parent company's that made the motors, with different badging, mine happened to be 'White', but I believe the others were 'Herculese' and ......uh..... the names escape me... The Multifuel also came in a non-turbo configuration as well. Though with less peak horse power. Some multifuels of the early variety were not multi fuel burning, rather set up for only deisel. The best upgrades available for the multifuel are in order of effectivness as far as longevity, would be a pre-oiler and then the anti-reversionary spin-on oil filters. the reason being.........the delay of oil reaching all the internals, primarily the crankshaft upon start-up. Typically in a stock configuration the oil takes up to 10 or so seconds to fully charge the system thus oiling all the moving parts. The motor weight is enormous, weighing in at about 1,600 pounds. Most guys/gals are getting 8-10 miles per gallon with these motors in the typical M35A2 configuration, however the Bobbers sometimes getting into the 12-13 mpg range. There are always threads asking about swaps in the engine department, anything from big block gas motors to the Cummins you like. For use as they were intended, their pretty fair, a bit underpowered in some instances, but sufficiant all the same. And you can turn the fuel up, thus gaining a bit more umph... though more omph equals less life in some instances, especially without installing a pyrometer to measure the turbo temp. Try the multifuel first before you dismiss it to quickly, I think in its own way its quite brisk when tuned properly and good clean fuel filters installed.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good engines, we have good service form them. Fuel turned up helps with proper gauging. The White 2-135 and 2-150 farm tractors used these motors with 4000+ hours being normal. Get the Implement and Tractor manual for these tractors to get good engine specifications. I think you will like it given your experience with how to care for it.
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My previous post was abbreviated with spell error because this thing has kicked me out four times even though I check the remember me box and logged in again twice. FRUSTRATING!!!
Regards Marti

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drool on this , ya Cummins freek! It's a deuce with your favorite brand. They're out there....

don't get confused from the turbo tubes, these are two different trucks.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, that is a 6bt. There were some experimental conversions done for the military. Kits come up on ebay and from our members once in a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks