• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help researching the history of my deuce

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
62nd QM Co along with 565 QM Co are Ft Hood's SSA's (Supply Support Activity) that the divison level SSA's turn things into. From 62nd, it went to DRMO.

bjorn2bwild

medlog said:
Not sure if you saw the post. YOU NEED TO READ THE 3RD POST FROM THE TOP (YES I AM YELLING). This is the official Army's registration for the last unit to own this vehicle.

AGAIN, DO NOT EQUATE THE NUMBER OF LAYERS OF TAN PAINT ON A BUMPER TO THE NUMBER OF LAYERS OF PAINT OVERALL ON THE VEHICLE.
Umm, I understand that. Not sure why yelling was required. I was never questioning that the last record of it was what you posted. Note that the other poster said that he ended up there in 92 as well.

All I was doing was attempting to figure out more of the vehicle's history than the last known record in your database.

I'm also not equating the number of layers of paint on the bumper to the number of layers of paint on the vehicle. I asked if that was a possibility. Your original answer showed otherwise. I haven't brought up that subject again. Not sure how you're getting that I don't understand that either.

Your photo shows the 502nd numbers applied with either enamel or CARC in a thick coat. Not surprised at this level of work from a Forward Support Maintenance Company. What has probably been wiped away with barely a notice was an 'el cheapo' layer of spray paint applied by the 62nd QMCO sometime around August 1992. It PROBABLY stayed with that unit until DRMO'd out in 1994.
Right, I absolutely agree with the first sentence.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that there's an "el cheapo" layer that was "wiped away with barely a notice."

I thought I had clearly illustrated this, but apparently not. The outermost layer of paint was the poorly done green with adhesive labels for markings (most likely done by a movie studio). The layer directly under that is the tan with enamel/CARC markings. Below that is another tan layer with more of the 2nd armored markings.

The last layer that could have been applied before the movie people got a hold of the truck IS the well done enamel/CARC layer.

As for where it stayed between 92 and 94, I thought the 2nd armored was re-organized into different units around that time. How could it stay with a unit that temporarily did not exist?

Prior to the 502nd...don't know.
That is what I'm attempting to learn by uncovering bumper markings on deeper layers of paint.

With all due respect to my fellow veteran above, I personally don't think this truck came from Ft Polk unless it came from there, got 502nd bumper numbers and by August was with the 62nd QMCO (more than likely the 62nd received the truck anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before). The 62nd QMCO has been assigned to Ft Hood since they stood up in 1967 having them come from Ft Polk is a no-go. Based on this I do think the truck was with the original 502nd at Ft Hood and either shipped and returned from ODS or never went.
I would have to agree, especially seeing as today I pulled off the next layer of the bumper and found that it too had 2nd armored markings on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks