• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy introduction and a question.

Newcomer

Hey guys just wanted to say I just bought my first MV and am looking forward to sharing and asking questions with you guys. I do have some pics I can post up at some point. Just bought an 86 M1008 and am ready to let the tinkering begin. I have lots of things planned. My First question revolves around lift springs vs a shackle flip. I have lifted several trucks in the past and it has always seemed that the lift springs do not have the same load carrying capacity as the stockers did. I lifted my old F250 and after the fact it seemed that the truck sagged a bunch more when I loaded up the rear the same as I previously did. I like the fact the this M1008 seems to have some serious load capacity with those huge rear leaf packs. I would like to maintain that as I will use the truck to carry loads around. I have always liked a tall truck so I was wanting to do a 5" rear and 6" or 7" front lift. Would you guys go with a shackle flip and an ORD zero rate in the rear or just get lift springs. If you think springs, is there one company you would suggest that would be better than another. I was wanting to avoid spending huge money to have someone like Atlas or Alcan make springs for me at $400 a spring. Also, how well do those huge rear stocker leafs flex? One more, will the 6" tuff country front springs through ORD hold up to the weight of that 6.2? Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks.

dunedigger

Newcomer

Dont have to tell me twice, here are some pics. The day I recovered it and then my $50 interior redo. I know in the pics the dash and doors look like I painted them bright red but its not. It is actually burgundy but the flash doesnt do it justice. Granted it still isnt the right color but its ok with me. I used vinyl and fabric paint which I have never used before, we will see how it holds up. Hopefully this thread isnt worthless any more. :-D

Attachments

ctmustang

welcome newcomer
im just up the road in thomasville,just bought a deuce a couple months ago so plenty of tinkering todo. need any help just pm me. goodluck
C.T.:-D:roll::-D

bsalbrig

I did a ORD shackle flip with 4" superlift springs and shackles from DIY4X4, the lift springs are softer than what I had but I had a 1028. My factory springs wouldnt flex very well. I did 8" spings in the front of my truck and had to add a zerorate to get things close to even. If I were to do it again I would do a 10" spring in the front.

Something I didnt think of when I did mine: the passanger side needs a longer shock than the driver side. My shock is about 1" too short when the suspension is loaded, I am going to cut and reweld the mounts for more clearance.

The shackle flip puts the spring eye 8" further away from the centerline of the chassis so that side to side loads would have much more twisting force than the normal shackle configuration. This may or may not be a problem but something to consider if you are going to haul large loads in the bed of your truck.

kennyw

Most lift springs I have dealt with are 3/4 ton rated. That will handle the motor but if I were lifting a M1008 I would want to keep it stout and have custom springs built for the front.
Front springs are the same for a stock K20 and K30. The main difference is 2 leaf for a small block or 3 leaf for diesel/big block. In lift springs, the HD springs tend to do well with the diesel and heavy front winch bumpers. Anything over 4" lift starts to get pretty stiff and ride like a brick though.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks