• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy - Winch and other questions M925a2

ericp351

Hi all. I am trying to get my fr. winch going for first time on M925A2 with 7412382-1 winch. It has oil , I can get the pump to turn and the controil vlv. to move about 3/8 in. both sides from center. Winch wont pay out or pull. I cracked fittings at winch and no "squirt" at pay out or pull, only drip. I don't think I am getting pressure to the motor. Now cluthch lever is stuck in Engaged, but it was free. What should I now try? Gut feal is that control vlv. should move more, but I have nothing to compare it to. If needed, can I get rebuild kit or "used but good " parts? Rig is otherwise 6,000 mi and in fine shape! Winch looks to have been changed once, pump & motor may be original.
Also, what "over the counter" hyd. oil should I use for Trans, Power Steering, etc? Lastly for now, My temp gauge on engine not moving. Can I ground sensor wire to test wire and peg gauge as on a vintage car? Thanks much for any advise in advance!

Ddmk18

Try unhooking you control valve and clean the selector shaft up and work it in and out with pliers or something with the motor off. If it frees up try hooking everything back up and try it. Mine did the same thing and it was the control valve not moving far enough.

Gunzy

Hydraulics, P/S and trans all take 10wt engine oil and that is what I am using without any problems. You can use Hydraulic gear oil in winch system. P/S can take P/S fluid or hydraulic gear oil. Check your trans fluid, if it is red it is Dexron/Mercon, if it is clear/yellow it is 10 wt.

Gunzy

Ddmk18 is correct in telling you to "excersize" the valve. Also make sure the drum lock is disengaged. You would also do well to read through the operators manual if you haven't done so yet.

ericp351

Thanks- I just came in from getting the winch to pull in 10 yards, very slowly. but that is something! I pulled the linkage pin and moved the valve a bit by hand. Is there a seal kit out there if I take it apart to clean?
Thanks for the oil-info. Looks like it would be good to stock-up some 10W non detergent stuff. EJP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks