• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP-803A owner here looking for advice

mikeh19d

I won a 1999 MEP-803A at auction recently and I’m wondering if anyone has put together a checklist or a step-by-step guide on getting the generator up and running. I do know of a couple of minor issues at the moment and I’ve taken steps to remedy them. Once those are addressed, I’ll be ready to do a complete inspection and get it ready to start. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and if anyone knows where I can get a Coolant Recovery tank, I could use the contact information. Thanks.

Jayhawk#44

Mikeh,

Check the above pinned 803a thread. Good stuff there. Someone will be along shortly to tell you to find and read the TMs. They’re on here as well. And just search through this topic. You will find dozens of 803a start up threads with the info you desire.

803a gennnys seem to be a bit predictable in their quirks from what I’ve read.

There are a couple of mods to check for and complete before startup as well.

Work, school, and life have kept me from getting mine done. My advice is hit it hard before Murphy steps in and makes it a garage albatross like mine!

Good luck!

Later,

Matt

mikeh19d

Mikeh,

Check the above pinned 803a thread. Good stuff there. Someone will be along shortly to tell you to find and read the TMs. They’re on here as well. And just search through this topic. You will find dozens of 803a start up threads with the info you desire.

803a gennnys seem to be a bit predictable in their quirks from what I’ve read.

There are a couple of mods to check for and complete before startup as well.

Work, school, and life have kept me from getting mine done. My advice is hit it hard before Murphy steps in and makes it a garage albatross like mine!

Good luck!

Later,

Matt
Thanks for getting me to the start line. Sometimes too much information can be as bad as not having any. This will get the ball rolling.

spotrep

Keep us updated in this thread! You can post your questions and progress here. I love seeing how others get theirs setup and repairs that need to be made.

If you take care of your MEP, your MEP will take care of you!

Guyfang

Staff member
A good place to start is the PMCS in the operators TM. It will give you some leads. Look at the before operation list first. Then start simple. I would get a pen and paper and LOOK at everything. Write up what is missing and or looks odd. I would also take the control cube top off and look for critters. More people will jump in here.

Ray70

Regarding the coolant recovery tank, you can look around on this site for details but the best solution is to go on Ebay and buy a coolant recovery tank for a late 80's Suzuki Samurai. It will fit right in place of the original, all you have to do is modify the hose slightly because the original went from the radiator neck to the bottom of the bottle with an overflow from the top of the bottle to the drain.
The Suzuki needs the line attached from the radiator neck to the cap/dip tube of the bottle.

For more info search this forum, dozens of folks have made this modification and saved a ton of money!

mikeh19d

Regarding the coolant recovery tank, you can look around on this site for details but the best solution is to go on Ebay and buy a coolant recovery tank for a late 80's Suzuki Samurai. It will fit right in place of the original, all you have to do is modify the hose slightly because the original went from the radiator neck to the bottom of the bottle with an overflow from the top of the bottle to the drain.
The Suzuki needs the line attached from the radiator neck to the cap/dip tube of the bottle.

For more info search this forum, dozens of folks have made this modification and saved a ton of money!
This is great. I'll get right on this. Thank you.

mikeh19d

A good place to start is the PMCS in the operators TM. It will give you some leads. Look at the before operation list first. Then start simple. I would get a pen and paper and LOOK at everything. Write up what is missing and or looks odd. I would also take the control cube top off and look for critters. More people will jump in here.
The good old PMCS... I'm starting to have flash backs... isn't there a form I need to file out? LOL