• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New owner M1009 now questions

sierrajcharlie

Got the unit home and it's in really good shape. Lots of new parts etc and the body has no rust! The left turn signal indicator would come on when you turned on the lights. Ended up being a bad drivers side front turn signal socket shorting out, replaced. The rear end was in a diaper and we thought the gasket was leaking. Took off the cover and found 11 teeth off of the ring gear and no fluid. No teeth were missing on the gear that's in it and the parts inside all looked new. We figure the rear end got shelled and punched a couple of small holes in the housing, found them when working on it. A little JB Weld and that issue fixed. Why they left the broken teeth in and didn't fix the holes is a mystery! The unit will roll when in park and a clicking noise can be heard. Read the manual about adjusting/fixing the pawl. Curious how difficult is that fix in real life? If its a difficult fix the parking brake works fine so may be something to be left for now, til funds are there. Another issue, the fuel gauge stays at 3 o'clock all the time. Thought the tank was full until she sputtered and died. So, what/where to start looking for that little devil? I've searched for like issues but haven't seen any. Any help is appreciated! Geez though, it's a blast to drive!!

rnd-motorsports

I would keep an eye on the rear end maybe If they did such a great job fixing it , Is the backlash and ring & pionon all set as should be? will take out the gears if not in a short time also for the parking paw I would take pan off there will be a rod from the shifter arm inside to the park paw look to see what is wrong take a pic and post of what you see imposable to say how hard to fix without knowing what is really wrong with it could be a simple adjust or broken parts need to see it and as for the fuel gauge If its stuck at one spot then I think I would change gauge and start there not that hard to change just the fuel gauge just a bolt in itam [thumbzup]

Last edited:

eric_banks32

I would try to adjust the shifter linkage on the side of the trans before going into the pan. It sounds like it might not be engaging park all the way. Could be that simple.

sierrajcharlie

I'll try the tranny adjustment this weekend. Originally that's what we thought it needed but then finding the issues in the rear end I went to worse case scenario. Will also look into the sending unit wire. Thanks for the link! That will be great if that's the issue with that. I won't be driving it much til we can check the backlash etc. I'll try and get some picts of the rig to post. Will also let you know what I find out. If the tranny adjustment doesn't do the trick it'll be awhile before I can get picts of that.
Thanks for the feedback!

Barrman

The fuel gauge is just an Ohm meter with the sender in the tank a variable resistor. The needle going way past the F means the circuit is open. It could be the 3 legs of the gauge in the cluster, a break in the wire going back to the sender, the sender itself or the ground for the sender.

The -20 says to ground the sender wire at the tank. Do that and see what happens. Gauge to E means the gauge and wiring are good to the sender. Gauge no change means something between the sender and the gauge or the gauge itself.

If it goes to E, plug it back in and make sure the ground wire is actually grounding. If that still doesn't fix it. You get to remove the fuel tank and probably change out the sender.

sierrajcharlie

Thanks Barrman. I knew I had read something about the fuel gauge somewhere in there but at the time was trying to find the answer to another question. Which I did figure out. So I went back in the manual tonight and started digging again. I finally did find it. I had just plain missed it earlier. The answers are there, it's just a matter of looking in the right place. Thanks again for pointing it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks