• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Rescue: Burma Jeep

hvygunner

Got a Burma Jeep the other day... Free...

(Y'all can stop gnashing your teeth now... :twisted:)

The front body looks reasonable, but I'll have to rebuild seats, and pretty much everything aft of the transmission. Running gear looks good and the engine isn't frozen...

Pictures are on my public photo gallery...

Would any of you GTB owners like to give me a photographic or virtual tour of your ignition circuits so I can get spark to the engine?

Cheers!

Attachments

hvygunner

A full 6" restoration is out of the question, so I am going to get the running gear, engine, brakes, and steering up to snuff, and then clean up the forward sheet metal as best I can to preserve the distinctive GTB front, and then fabricate a custom flatbed back for general purpose (she IS a 1 1/2 ton dually, after all!!!) and to carry our older vets in parades and such. She'll be useful as a work truck with a weekend part-time job.

All of the important parts work, and I'm not going to get too wrapped around the axle about putting her back in full fighting shape.

That having been said, any tips or resources y'all have would be greatly appreciated!

zout

I have to hush as I just picked up a rusted piece of crap from outta the deep GA woods for free as well.
It does have the Monroe 3 point implement system on it - but what the heck - I understand and keep on with it and keep posting pics of the progress on it.

At least yours has the engine :beer:

hvygunner

Sometimes...

Sometimes the original gear is too far gone, and all you have is the frame and most of the running gear...

That simply means that you get to research how to repower the beast with something that you have a prayer of getting parts for!!! [thumbzup]

At least, that's the plan for the M-37!!!

citizensoldier

A nice M101A3 trailer box would fit right on the back for a useful pickup truck style.. It will have the wide fenders for the double tires too. I have seen worse come back to fighting shape.. But I agree a bigger can of WD-40, PB blaster, Kroil oil and mystery oil should be on your shopping list..:D

hvygunner

She was located up in Elk, actually... Fellow said he had enough projects and didn't think that he would ever get around to doing anything with her (on top of not being sure anything could be done for her...)

Way back when, Chris Davis turned a rust shaped pile of parts into a parade-ready MB in 30 days. If he could do that, I can do something with this thing.

I figure that Ford had to have used many off the shelf parts on hand from its GPW line to knock a GTB together. I'm making a list, but I welcome any info along that line.

Quarkz: Let me see what I've got going on then. It might be doable.

BTW, any of you eastern Washington State folks, I'm in Rockford (SE of Spokane)... Y'all come by and visit anytime!:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks