• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New To the site an wondering about a M35A2

Austin1991

I'm new to this sight and i am wanting to get an M35A2 and was wondering how reliable the motors are also if they have to be rebuilt often or if they can go like a regular diesel and pretty much last forever

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start reading the Forums. You'll learn so much, you'll regret it!

1stSarge

Welcome. I read posts on here for probably 4 months before I ever joined, and I’m pretty sure, of all my posts, I have never asked a single question. Everything I want to know has been asked and answered before. But if you cant find the answer, don’t be afraid to ask!

Again, welcome, and as the Dogman said, you probably will regret it. :D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome. I read posts on here for probably 4 months before I ever joined, and I’m pretty sure, of all my posts, I have never asked a single question. Everything I want to know has been asked and answered before. But if you cant find the answer, don’t be afraid to ask!

Again, welcome, and as the Dogman said, you probably will regret it. :D
I thought I was the only one. I started at page 1 of the deuce forum and then started working my way towards the front. I am proud to say that at one point, I had probably read 75% of the deuce related threads here. It gave me a fantastic base of knowledge to work off of when I went to buy my first one.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm new to this sight and i am wanting to get an M35A2 and was wondering how reliable the motors are also if they have to be rebuilt often or if they can go like a regular diesel and pretty much last forever
Austin, if you do a search ( Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - Search Forums ) for "multifuel AND lifespan" or something like that, there are two very good threads that relate to the multifuel and it's expected lifespan. Just keep searching and reading until you find what you need.

I would strongly suggest that all new and prospective deuce owners go into the deuce forum ( The Deuce - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite ) and simply start reading EVERYTHING. I know it will take awhile but when you are done, you will have so much knowledge, you'll be able to make a really educated decision when and if you buy one.

Our membership has built an incredible database of Deuce knowledge, all free of charge to the casual user. I find it useful everyday.

Austin1991

thank u for your help it will prolly take me a while before i get it seeing as i have to sell off a 88 mustang first, But i am really excited to get a deuce so i can actually have fun this winter.

Austin1991

Reliability

How reliable is a deuce and what kind of hours/miles can u get out of the motor before a rebuild. i'm wondering because it will be a daily driver once i get it

mudguppy

first, welcome to SS.

2nd - you'll hear all kinds of answers, but it comes down to this: it's a crap-shoot. folks will preach on and on about how proper PMCS will give you years of reliable, trouble-free service. and i don't disagree with this conjecture.

however, this is an old motor with an even older design. even though it has likely been rebuilt within the last 25 years and likely has very little hours on it, there really are no garrauntees. there have been several members on here that have suffered catastrophic failures even after years of meticulous PM service.

i'm not trying to deflate your balloon, just don't kid yourself into thinking that 'it won't ever happen to me'. just realize that it is what it is and take refuge in the fact that if you ever do have a serious problem that a rebuilt or take-out motor is usually readily available and very affordable. because of this, rebuild is not usually a practical option.

stay on the PMs, and you should have little concern. besides, i have more concern over wheel bearings, transmission, and brake failures than the engine by itself. those seem to be the 4 major systems suspect of unpredictable failure.

Austin1991

ya i'm not hoping for the greatest deuce a place about an hour an a half away from me has them starting at 3250 im just hopeing wen i go look at them they run enough to get it home an there not rust buckets

Austin1991

would u buy another? i'm looking for something to drive in the winter and also something i can take off road and not worry to much about breaking

wikallen

Going to be an expensive daily driver. Think about it. 5 -10 mpg diesel (unless you are going alternative). 10 tires to replace when the time comes. 7 brakes. Two oil filters, and three fuel filters, 22 qts of oil. 3 axles to change fluids in.

Great trucks, but for sole transportation, I hope you understand it will be costly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks