• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie gasser vs multi

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All:

I've restored a 1/2 ton Dodge WWII truck, and it's time for something different. I have a guy who will sell me a complete and ready-to-run LDT without winch with soft top for $3200, and a different guy offering one with winch and hard top with gasser engine but needs brakes work (and probably needs fresher tires) for $3500. I haven't seen either truck in person yet.

This will be my first time owning an M35. I have a Class A truck license and I am an electrician with extensive mechanical experience, including diesel engines, so the brake work doesn't scare me.

Does the gasser use a carburetor, and if so, what's it like getting a rebuild kit for it? How crappy is the sprag-operated t-case? Can I easily fit a turbo to the gasser engine (i.e, is it a bolt-on set-up)?

Opinions please??

THANKS VERY MUCH!

-Ken J

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Myself, I'd go with the mutifuel. There are people that have gassers and love them though.

Yes, the gasser has a carb. I have no idea about the rebuild kit.

The sprag cases work fine when adjusted right. I still much rather have an air-shift though.

I guess you could ad a turbo to the gasser but there is no kit to do it. While I've seen it done, it's not common practice to add a turbo to a gasser engine. I diesel (multifuel) gets much more benefit from a turbo than a gas engine does.

littlebob

Get both! I like the options you have with the multifuel, but the gassers are getting more rare. If I
were to have "one"it would be the multifuel.. The Gasser would make a better collector truck.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! I see that many M35's shown here don't have winches, so I guess they're not considered critical. Looking at eBay they price from $700 to $1400 for the 24 volt models. Probably still half price of a stock set-up (hydraulic, right?).

Can't have both, have to store the one I get at a friend's property as it is.

Your answers were what I expected, just thought I'd ask to see if there were any surprises!

THANKS VERY MUCH!!

-Ken J

hole

Personally, I'd look for a multi-fuel. You'll get twice the mpg, and the ability to run almost anything for fuel! Take off winches run between 750 to 1500.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i went back and forth when I was first getting into MVs. I went with multi and am very happy i did.

easy to get parts; lots of knowledge here; love the sound of that diesel:smile:

Barrman

I have driving examples of both.

The Gasser is great for parades and working around the place. No noise, smooth and with a 400 rpm idle will crawl super slow. It will top out around 65-70 mph on flat ground. 4.5-5 mpg is what I get. Hot starts are a pain. Parts are out there and really not that bad on price. No hearing protection needed below 40 mph. Nice truck for around town.

The multi is a snorting, shaking and smoking torque monster. 9-11 mpg, top speed of 56 mph with stock tires, starts every time cold or hot. Burns any hydrocarbon I can fit in the tank. Big hills slow it down some, but not near as much as they slow down the Gasser. I use mine for anything that involves road trips, pulling big stuff and camping. Stayed 2 nights in the bed over the weekend with a Scout camp out. Hearing protection is needed at all times. Parts are everywhere.

Both of mine have the Garwood 10K PTO driven winch. Way under rated as to what it will actually pull. I have had the Gasser stuck in mud to where the running boards were flat on the ground. Winch in low, feet flat on the floor, truck in neutral and it just pulled right out.

Get a winch Multi fuel and be happy.

JasonS

I have driving examples of both.

The Gasser is great for parades and working around the place. No noise, smooth and with a 400 rpm idle will crawl super slow. It will top out around 65-70 mph on flat ground. 4.5-5 mpg is what I get. Hot starts are a pain. Parts are out there and really not that bad on price. No hearing protection needed below 40 mph. Nice truck for around town.

The multi is a snorting, shaking and smoking torque monster. 9-11 mpg, top speed of 56 mph with stock tires, starts every time cold or hot. Burns any hydrocarbon I can fit in the tank. Big hills slow it down some, but not near as much as they slow down the Gasser. I use mine for anything that involves road trips, pulling big stuff and camping. Stayed 2 nights in the bed over the weekend with a Scout camp out. Hearing protection is needed at all times. Parts are everywhere.

Both of mine have the Garwood 10K PTO driven winch. Way under rated as to what it will actually pull. I have had the Gasser stuck in mud to where the running boards were flat on the ground. Winch in low, feet flat on the floor, truck in neutral and it just pulled right out.

Get a winch Multi fuel and be happy.
My truck has had the 331 and 400 gas engine, and now the multifuel. A few of the gasser shortcomings can be easily remedied. The hot start can be fixed by using a better carburetor (Holley 320 cfm economaster) and a 12V armature spins it ove much faster. Electronic ignition and a civilian distributor also make consistent and hot spark. I agree that at low speeds, the gasser is quieter. However, at speed and ignoring the turbo noise, I agree that there isn't much difference in overall drivetrain noise.

WOLFMAN1

i own a gasser and am selling it for 2000 for who ever wants to come and either drive it half way home or haul it home. it runs and drives looks real good have to sell it asap cause i have to move. the truck cant go with me. i cant drive it cause of my disability. asking 2000 and have title. gassers are easier for me to fix and rare so what you do is your choice. but i'm just throwing that out there

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Ive seen Wolfman's 52' M35 . Id really look his over if you wanted a good gasser M35 for the history of owning one. Ive always had A2's and A3's and tons of other MV's but if you want some thing hardly anyone else will have then id go gasser! If you wanted a truck that you probably can get in and go that most guys have thats pretty much "turn Key" then a Multifuel is the way to go.

P.S. Sprag trucks fail when you dont know how to drive one. 5 ton owners know what I mean. So if you drive it correctly you will be fine. Parts are easy to get for a gasser , and yeah they are a little more maint. than a A2 multifuel but if you like working and maintaining some thing that everyone does'nt have then id do the gasser. Also the top speed in a gasser isnt what it is in a Multifuel but its also 20 or so years older.

Last edited:

armytruck63

Barrman's description of the differences between engines is accurate. When I got my mulit-fuel, I dreamed of a multi-state desert exploration trip. This never happened, and the older I get, the less I like the noisy, smelly, hot and loud multifuel engine. With the little amount of driving I do, I think if I had to do it all over again, I would get a gasser.

My first choice would be an M211 so I could get really lazy with the automatic transmission.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks very much to all of you! I very much appreciate the useful comments and insight.

I decided to get the multi-fueler because this particular truck needs hours and hours less work and $$$$ to get it driveable. I do like older gas engines, but I just don't want to do a restoration right now.

I should be able to go pick it up in two to four weeks.

THANKS VERY MUCH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks