• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie M1008 Question - Computers

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,
I'm new the M1008 trucks, know more about the Deuces.....

Anyway, I'm looking at getting an 1986 M1008, and I wanted to ask about the Computers. Searched for a while now, and from what I have read, it does have an ECM for the engine. However, I'm not certain (if stock) that it has a transmission computer.

My question: Does anyone know how readily available both computers are? And where could you get one?
Do they have to be an M1008 computer only, or does it cross over to a chevy # ?

Thanks!

Cucvnut

what computers are you talking about? Cucv's do not have computers the Transmission is run off vacuum pump and the motor does not have a ECM.

Matt65

I guess the closest thing to a computer is the glow plug card, maybe? If you hate computers, ECUs, ECMs, PCMs etc you have made a good choice. No OBD trouble codes on these trucks.

There is a link to the TMs in my signature that will help explain how these run with no computers.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys, Thanks Alot! That makes the CUCV move from being a "good truck" to being a Great Truck! Yes, i hate computers.... especially in vehicles.

I had been trying to find info, and was coming up empty, and didn't know for sure either way. I had read a few posts while searching, which stated something about an engine computer... but maybe they were talking about a different model, or maybe they had changed the engine... :confused: Then there was posts in another thread about changing the transmission with other civy trans models and which civy trans model had what type computer and which would work and etc and so on.

Anyway, Very Glad to hear that there are no computers! 8)

Now I'm putting serious thought into an CUCV... have to get something so our deuce doesn't get lonely :smile:

Thanks CUCVNut and Matt65 for the Definitive Answers! [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you change out the transmission to the 4L80e, you will need a standalone computer to control it. Maybe that is what you read.

The e on the end of the tramsmission type is "e" for electronic

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if the glow plug "computer" gives you fits you can bypass it to operate the GPs manually.
Yeah I did know about that. Might be a good idea to keep the parts on hand as a backup, just in case. But the glow plug controller isn't a big deal, like you said.

If you change out the transmission to the 4L80e, you will need a standalone computer to control it. Maybe that is what you read.

The e on the end of the tramsmission type is "e" for electronic

That might be have been what they were talking about.
Thanks Guys!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys for Everything!! It was what we needed to know to finish making up our minds and go ahead and try to get the truck we had been thinking about.

We just bought a 68' deuce a few days ago, that is in New Mexico, which I have to go get next week. So since I was already going out that way, I started looking around to see if there would be a pick-up truck, which we also needed, out in that area too. And after doing some looking, I found one a couple days ago that we were very interested in.

So, tonight were able to buy an 86' M1008 in Arizona! It has 10,716 Original Documented Miles! It has also be completely redone top to bottom!

So my brother and I will be going out by train next week to pick up both :-D
Then we get drive them the 1700 miles trip back home :driver:
These will be our two main vehicles now, as I sold my 2008 honda element this past spring, and I think I've made a pretty good Trade! 8) What do you guys think?

I'll make another thread about both of them later, but I thought you guys might want to see the M1008.

Attachments

Last edited:

epartsman

Thanks Guys for Everything!! It was what we needed to know to finish making up our minds and go ahead and try to get the truck we had been thinking about.

We just bought a 68' deuce a few days ago, that is in New Mexico, which I have to go get next week. So since I was already going out that way, I started looking around to see if there would be a pick-up truck, which we also needed, out in that area too. And after doing some looking, I found one a couple days ago that we were very interested in.

So, tonight were able to buy an 86' M1008 in Arizona! It has 10,716 Original Documented Miles! It has also be completely redone top to bottom!

So my brother and I will be going out by train next week to pick up both :-D
Then we get drive them the 1700 miles trip back home :driver:
These will be our two main vehicles now, as I sold my 2008 honda element this past spring, and I think I've made a pretty good Trade! 8) What do you guys think?

I'll make another thread about both of them later, but I thought you guys might want to see the M1008.
Very nice! I saw this on *Bay. Be careful taking it home these are geared high and comfortably all you will be able to do is 60mph otherwise you will over rev and risk engine damage which is why you see posts about guys wanting to go to a 4spd o/d type trans. It will be a very long trip. Looks great!

mtn man

:beer: Good score! That was a very nice truck, one of the better ones I have seen. Sure it will be a long trip, but thats just more time to enjoy the old iron. And as for computers the only one you will need should be stuck on this site to keep us all updated on progress as you tweek that 1008. I would love to be able to drive mine day in and day out, but I just have to travel way too much!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tht one was on ebay.

Yep it was fleaBay:
Chevrolet : Other Pickups Chevrolet : Other Pickups - eBay (item 260928294034 end time Jan-10-12 20:59:40 PST)

Very nice! I saw this on *Bay. Be careful taking it home these are geared high and comfortably all you will be able to do is 60mph otherwise you will over rev and risk engine damage which is why you see posts about guys wanting to go to a 4spd o/d type trans. It will be a very long trip. Looks great!
We're bringing the deuce back at the same time, so we'll probably be going 50 mph anyway.

Last edited:

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:good score :beer:
Thanks!

:beer: Good score! That was a very nice truck, one of the better ones I have seen. Sure it will be a long trip, but thats just more time to enjoy the old iron.
Thanks! We've been looking for a while now, and I agree, this is one of the best trucks I have seen in nearly a year's time that I have been searching. Would have liked to have had the M1008 and the deuce back a few months ago, but it's been worth waiting to find the right one's.

And as for computers the only one you will need should be stuck on this site to keep us all updated on progress as you tweek that 1008. I would love to be able to drive mine day in and day out, but I just have to travel way too much!
Yeah, I like seeing other people trucks, and what they have done to them. So I'll try to do the same and make a thread about both of these trucks too. I don't plan on going to extensive on the mods, but there is a few things I want to do. We'll see where it goes from there. :-D

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW looks mint! I almost got a 1008 out of Little Falls this past week. Got a M1009 out of Sparta, still trying to figure out how I'm gonna get it home. Was going to ship it, then was going to drive it home, then decided to rent a trailer and pull it home, then came to my senses it would be iffy pulling a trailer and blazer behind my 3/4 ton pickup, now back to looking at shippers. As last resort I'll be driving it home.
This disease is a nightmare when you work for a living with only a certain amount of time off to retrieve in the 10 day window.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW looks mint! I almost got a 1008 out of Little Falls this past week. Got a M1009 out of Sparta, still trying to figure out how I'm gonna get it home. Was going to ship it, then was going to drive it home, then decided to rent a trailer and pull it home, then came to my senses it would be iffy pulling a trailer and blazer behind my 3/4 ton pickup, now back to looking at shippers. As last resort I'll be driving it home.
This disease is a nightmare when you work for a living with only a certain amount of time off to retrieve in the 10 day window.
Thanks for the comment Patriot! Yeah I went through the same thought process when I was trying to bid on a truck in sparta. Costs a few more $$'s to ship, but it is safer on a truck that you're not sure about.
Thankfully the two trucks that we're going to get are in great condition and should be ready to drive anywhere. But you never know when something could happen, I just pray that the Heavenly Father Yahuah gives us a Safe Trip there and Back with no problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks