• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie ~ Maintenance Questions!

DirtyChevyGuy

Just picked up a new toy, '85 D10 M1009 CUCV. First squarebody truck, first CUCV truck. Pretty happy since I've always been a late model truck guy.

Oil... 15W-40 okay for Arizona heat? 3,000 to 5,000 mile intervals. What brand do y'all recommend?
Coolant... Planned on running Peak Long Life (Phosphate and Silicate free). 50,000 mile intervals. Is that ok in these engines?
Trans fluid... Looks good for now, so I don't plan on touching it for awhile. Read that they call for Dex II, any other options?
Diff fluid... Not sure here, recommendations?
Fuel system... Additive recommendations?

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse asking basic questions as a new guy, but I'd like to just have them answered here on the spot rather than sifting through tons and tons, and tons, of threads and TMs.

Thank you,

Marcus

Guyfang

Staff member
Well sir, if you looked in the TM's section, for the M1009, last entry on the page will show you the LO. That is the Lube Order. Tells you what, where and how much to use. Easy.

DirtyChevyGuy

Thanks for the point in the right direction, I took a look at it and it has some good info. My questions weren't really answered there, except for the differential fluid.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Diff 80/90 is what I used.

Oil definitely 15/40

coolant, yes

never used fuel additives.

Trans....can't remember

cucvrus

Transmission and transfer case use Dex/Merc ATF it will do the job. Others will chime in about their choice. You choose what you want but a 5 gallon pail on Dex/Merc ATF will last you through 2 changes of the transmission and the transfer case. The 208 transfer case takes about 4.9 qts of ATF the transmission service amount will vary depending on the type of pan you have on the transmission. Rotella T 15-40 has served me well in all conditions for over 20 years. No full synthetic needed Just straight Rotella T synthetic blend has served me well for over 20 years of CUCV driving.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks