• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newbie question

jvmm

Be gentle, I'm thinking of getting a M1009.

Question is is there a reliable company that restores these? I can crank a wrench, but time is also a factor.

I want one that is reliable and has zero problems.

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want one that is reliable and has zero problems.

Run the other way.

Fast

jvmm

I had an 85 Blazer, got about 160K out of it. Then golf ball size hail killed it good.

It was a 305 engine, Always heard the auto trans was a weak link, but it did 120K, before a rebuild.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a 25+ year old truck. You will have problems. There are a few members that do a cosmetic restoration but no one that I know of that does a complete mechanical rebuild.

Shankem-Deep

I would say your best bet is find a local mechanic that has experience with the military blazers or CUCV's. That may not be possible though. If you do find one then you can try and find a 09 that is worth putting some money into. I would look for a lower mileage one that doesn't need a ton of work. Then have said mechanic go through it. New fluids, belts, hoses, dog head relay and all the other must do mods that make these MV's more reliable. I'm using mine now for a DD but it took some going through to get it to that point.

85CUCVtom

Like Warthog said, it's a 25+ year old truck. 100% reliability is not gonna happen.

On the positive note, they really aren't that bad to work on. If you've wrenched on cars and trucks before, learning the CUCV's electrical systems and diesel driveline wont be that bad. You do have the TM's to help you.

As said above, if your unsure, have a mechanic look at it before you buy it. Make sure the body is solid. Check that the electrical system isn't all hacked up. Drive it, make sure it shifts well and the 6.2l is running good. The list goes on and on.

Read the TM's and the forums here. Get a little knowledge on them before you buy.

Shankem-Deep

I got my 09 cheap and paid cash for it. I knew going into it that it needed some work. I've put about a grand into it since i've bought it. The way I look at it, that is only about 2 normal vehicle payments. You can do a lot to these with the money you would have spent on regular vehicle payments. But you have to want to and not get discouraged. For me I wanted a nearly all mechanical, fuel injected, straight axle 4x4, that gets descent mileage. Figure out what you want exactly and that will narrow down you choices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks