• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No headlights

WatchDawg

Hey all,

So I decided to try and plug an interveter into the 12v plug the previous owner installed. He had it hooked to the headlight switch, so in parking light mode (1st position) it would go on.

When it got to nighttime, and I pulled the light switch all the way out all I got was the parking lights, no headlights, breaks worked, dash lights worked, and dimmed, turn signals and hazards worked. I checked the voltage at the headlights and got no voltage.

I got a headlight switch a week or two ago, because after reading the forms decided it's a good just in case. Installed it, and still no headlights. I have only had highbeams (aimed down so as not to blind people) since I got the car,and cannot switch out of it to test to see if it's only affecting high beams.

My initial thoughts were that the inverter drew too much and blew a fuse, but no blown fuses, then replaced switch. I'm a bit stumped beyond having to trace out all the wires to see if something melted, any other suggestions from anyone? I was thinking of just finding a 12v souce and jerry rigging that to the headlights to get me by. until I can take the time to get it inside and out of the cold to find the source and fix.

I've read through the tm's and forms but couldn't find anything that worked, doubt it's the headlights themselves, no voltage to the headlights at all, Its not in blackout mode, no lights would be working, and I have break, and reverse and parking lights, and dash lights. Still in original 24v config.

cucvrus

My guess is it is the headlamp dimmer switch on the column. Be patient with that one. It can be done with the column in place. it is just a bit tedious. Take your time and enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving.

WatchDawg

Just as another added bonus, my gen 1 light dosn't come on when key is in on position or while driving, prior to i was getting a constant flickering indicating prob. a bad rectifier

nyoffroad

I'm leaning toward a bad dimmer switch or maybe a bad connection at the main wire harness plug. ( on the firewall under the brake booster)

WatchDawg

ok so to get by we jerryrigged the lights directly to one battery. looks like the low beams are not working. i was planning on converting most of wteering column indicators anyway so that project just got moved up.

pick up some wires and switch tommorow and get that done at least for headlight will go from batt. to fuse to 3 position switch (on/low/high) and start to order my switch holder for all other indicators and column functions (hazards, wipers, turn indicators)

CUCVLOVER

I did the dimmer in my 08 and I just ordered one from Napa for a 86 k30 diesel. Make sure the switch is not stuck between hi and low. You might have bumped and it got stuck causing no power flow.
Its just a thought. I might be wrong but it never hurts to check.

WatchDawg

At this point I'm going to basically bypass the high / low indicator, and run my own circuit to the headlights, taking old issues out of the equation

MarcusOReallyus

Look into the LMC headlight harness. Once you've seen what it does, you might want to roll your own, but either way, it's a good idea.

That headlight circuit was marginal when it was new. With old connections and old wiring it's just asking for trouble.