• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power steering or brakes after new pump and lines

Chaski

Just to be sure... You have the pressure hose hooked up to the passenger side port on the steering box and the return hose hooked up to the drivers side port right?

I think that is about the only place you could cross things up since the connections to the hydroboost would be much harder to cross up.

Gunfighter1

View attachment 578486

So two common bad things can happen that will allow you to pull out the shaft, or excessive endpla (more than 1/8"). 1) the shaft is broken. 2)the circlip that holds the rotor on has broken or come off. If you can pull the shaft out get another pump.

If not check out the pic above. You should be able to pull off the high pressure hose, then remove the fitting on the pump to see the parts in the pic above. Part number 2 is the regulator piston. The nut on the right has a screen that should be clean. There should be no washers between the nut and regulator body. The shorter the assembly the higher the pressure, the longer the lower. 2nd thing is to check the size of the hole in part #1. The hole should be 5/32". The Chevy's with hydroboost brakes and power steering used the "hot rod" version of the saganaw pump with the highest flow and pressure possible
If you can't make any headway go to the parts store and get Chevy saganaw pump. Take the regulator out of it and make sure it has no washers and a 5/32" hole.

Great info thank you! The new pump i just picked up has a 7/64 hole in it. Should i take it back and try to find one with the 5/32? Any brands that you know of come that way or am i looking for a white elephant? I think all the parts stores near me will probably have the same remaned stuff. Can i just drill the hole out to 5/32 and call it good?

Last edited:

Chaski

The guts of the pumps are identical. The displacement of the vane pump is the same on all of those GM saganaw pumps. The only application difference is the can, regulator and flow restrictor. Just take whatever mystery box store rebuild you can get, put your diesel can on it, take the regulator out of it and remove the nut, toss the washers, tighten the nut (don't score the regulator piston while holding it). Finally drill out the restrictor to 5/32". Presto you have made your mystery parts house Saginaw pump into the correct model for any 1980's GM diesel application.

Gunfighter1

aua Looks like it is 5/32 i measured the hole marked B in your picture. Hate it when i get the wrong hole8) Ill put it in tomorrow and see how it goes.

rustystud

I took off the old, well new never worked pump and there were two small flat rocks lodged into the pump itself. Glad it passed quality control with those extra parts floating around. FYI never buy an ATSCO remanned pump.
I hope you took that piece of garbage back to where you bought it and showed them those rocks ! That is so unacceptable !