• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No troop seats? WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN TROOP SEATS!

davesgmc

my 5 ton with a deuce bed has no troop seats. I made some wooden uprights to hold the top bows and corners so could put a top on. But I decided I might not want the top on all the time so I wanted some real troop seats. I couldn't find any reasonably priced or close enough that I could get right away. So i decided I don't need real troop seats just some good looking sides.

I made them from 5/4 cca treated wood as sides. All the wood I used was treated wood. used a table saw to split them in 1/2. routed the edges round and used the wooden uprights i made to hold the top bows and corners. I had to leave a bit sticking up so as to attach the corners to, but still not bad and its rock solid! I will let is set and season a bit and paint it in a few weeks when I paint the rest of the truck.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The metal staves are the same on 715's, M211's, M35's, 5 tons, etc. There are 4 unique ones for each bed corner and the middle ones are the same. The wood is red oak originally.

davesgmc

cab is sorta kinda done, all major sheetmetal work anyhow, it wont be shown again until i get more of the cosmetics done and painted,,,,it has to be DONE in 2 weeks, so I am gonna be a busy boy for awhile. And I just moved to a new house too and all my stuff is in storage, what a pain in the @$$! the new house wont be ready for a month or more now, so its 2 adults and 3 kids, a cat, 2 dogs, a 5 ton thats almost bigger than the driveway and loads of other cr@%% pack in every corner imaginable.... in a 2 bed duplex. new house is 5 bed, 2 bath, 2 car with antoehr shop out back,,,,,cant wiat til i move in and get set up, all the tpoys can come home then!

as soon as elmo is done and makes it first showing in 2 weeks, i will post some pics of it on here,,,from beginiing to end. Dang its a lot of work in a littel ammount of time!

davesgmc

Nice job, now we know what you did all weekend.

bed side only took about 3 hours to build from start to end,,,rest of the weekend was spent in getting the last bit of stuff from old house to storage,,,then numerous trips back to storage from new place to get tools, etc, and dig around for hours trying to find stuff...MOVING SUCKS!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Dave you should have said you were moving.... It would have given me a chance to come up with a lame reason why I didn't have time to help!!

as soon as elmo is done and makes it first showing in 2 weeks, i will post some pics of it on here,,,from beginiing to end. Dang its a lot of work in a littel ammount of time!

Dave is the unveiling here?? May 24 & 25, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Vintage Military Vehicle Display
National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial – Southeast Lawn
The Military Vehicle Preservation Association displays vintage military vehicles on the southeast lawn and their members are available to answer your questions about their collection. Displays will include Jeeps, tanks and other vehicles from World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
National World War I Museum - Event Calendar

Last edited: