• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NON-blinking blinker

dm22630

Two days ago my blinker would work only if I would first put the left hand signal on, then shifted it up to right hand or 4 way.

Yesterday.....no blinkers or 4 way.

Today....

Unscrewed the turn signal switch on the steering column, plugged in a different signal switch.....still no blinker.

Then I checked grounds.....well, the one ground I could find, which was on the generator.....it was completely disconnected (broken)....I replaced it with a spare from another truck.....still no blinker.

Then I finally found the signal relay that was hiding from me. All looked good, no loose wires. I will pull one from another truck tomorrow and switch them to see if that is the problem.

If not, what else could it be?

Thanks!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: NON-blinking blinker

westfolk said:
Check the ground wire right at the flasher unit.
This is the first connection to check, the case of the flasher unit may be plastic or anodized aluminum, neither which conducts electricity, so you have to make sure the mounting screw makes good contact with the ring terminal (wire "C" from the flasher) and the sheet metal. The sheet metal, in turn must make a solid connection to the battery neg terminal too. Check the whole return path.

If it still isn't working, the next easy check is to remove the unit, hook it up on the work bench and test it. Pin "A" to a light bulb (which has one side grounded), "B" to 24vdc (12 vdc may work for some flashers too) and pin "C" to ground. When "B" is connected, the light should blink about 80 times/minute.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: NON-blinking blinker

I bought Mil Spec red and yellow blinker fluid from Don at the show! Don really has some great deals! Also, a note for newbies, don't get this stuff on your hands or your eyes will blink like crazy! Thanks again

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The ground contacts need to be cleaned or simply replace the flasher unit located on the fender.

dm22630

***UPDATE***

Today I did the following:

Switched the flasher unit with a newer one off of another truck......still no blinker.

Checked all the grounds I could find.....still no blinker.

Screamed obscenities......still no blinker.

Switched the signal switch on the steering column AGAIN with one from a confirmed working truck.....BINGO!! Signals work fine!

So had idiot me confirmed that the signal switch worked from donor truck #1 yesterday, all this excitement could have been avoided.

rofl

BEASTMASTER

i been having blinker trouble from day one . drive it down the road , hit some bumps and everything works fine.tried all the grounds but still a mystery.might check the blinker fluid next.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
55Cameo said:
Does anyone know where I can get a box of grid squares?
Look in the OD Iron catalog. They are on the same page as the gun line under the section about the importance of prop wash.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, we have lots of them, actually lets see, there is 12 in a case and 144 in a gross so, it looks like we might be sitting on a gross case of gridsquares. Ouch

btw, When I was a kid, I thought Eggo Waffles were gridsquares!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks