• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non slip paint surface

flyxpl

I use white sand , ( sand blasting sand ) . Put on one coat of color , sprinkle on sand , blow off any excess , then apply two more coats of color . I have used this method on aircraft wing walk and it held up good . It was automotive paint with a hardener . If you put it in the primer you wuld be unable to sand or scuff the primer before painting .

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the stuff i'll use when I get around to squirting my junk. Looks like aluminun oxide.

Attachments

badgmc56

I use a rust proof paint and mix some white sand in a roller tray. I use a small roller and apply evenly. I wait till paint flashes, [just drys enough to the touch] and topcoat with what ever color I need. Did this on my front fenders and running boards over a year ago and it's still holding up great. My truck sits out side all winter.

Jones

Bjorn,
I've had the best luck with a paint designed for high traffic areas like walkways and concrete shop floors. The non-slip additive goes on under the final top coat.
There are two non-slip additives to choose from; one is grit of your choice- be it sand, aluminum oxide or whatever.
The other uses ground-up rubber and while still non-slip, isn't quite as abrasive and seems to be easier to walk on.
If the tops of fenders is one area you're considering; sitting or kneeling on the rubber compound stuff might be easier on your hide.

wsucougarx

Definately something I need to do to '88 M35A2C. Those sudden panic moments as I try to catch my balance are getting old...like myself. Those fenders can get like pig snot especially on the shaded side of the truck

dragman

I used a roll of anti-skid tape...comes in all kinds of sizes, you can trim to fit, i know Granger has it and it works very well.....round the corners and it won't peel off..........i have had good luck with it. I use it on all my trailers....[thumbzup]

Attachments

Nonotagain

So, how do you do your non skid walk-on surfaces?
Figure it is a 3-step procedure and primed and sprinkled it with sand first. Will remove loose sand and prime again before finally painting it.
The old walkway coating, Mil-W-5044 was replaced with A-A-59166.

For my Boeing applications we use the non-metallic version that uses walnut shell as the aggregate.

You can mix the walnut shell, (just like the tumbling media used for shell case cleaning) with the topcoat of your choice, and then apply using a 3/8" nap roller.

The rougher you want the surface the longer the nap you want to use. Push the roller one direction and allow enough time for the solvent to evaporate before the next application.

wsucougarx

Outstanding idea on the walnut shells. I knew there was a reason I held onto that bag of tumbling media.[thumbzup]

The old walkway coating, Mil-W-5044 was replaced with A-A-59166.

For my Boeing applications we use the non-metallic version that uses walnut shell as the aggregate.

You can mix the walnut shell, (just like the tumbling media used for shell case cleaning) with the topcoat of your choice, and then apply using a 3/8" nap roller.

The rougher you want the surface the longer the nap you want to use. Push the roller one direction and allow enough time for the solvent to evaporate before the next application.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks