• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

noob with questions

nyceguy01

Ok experts Ill start with the story. I had a friend tell me about an old chevy for sale in a nearby town that the owner had died and his brother just wanted it gone and he wanted to sell cheap.

I finally went to take a look today and it was an old county fire dept. brush truck.
I didnt really get a chance to look close when the owner came out and said because of a dead battery it wouldnt start and if we took it as is and hauled it off today we could have it for $500. I paid him and he pushed it on the trailer with his tractor.

After getting it home I discovered it had a dana 60 front and I though I had won the lottery.lol

Upon further inspection I realized it was a M1028 by the plaque on the door. I thought the grill gaurd and shackles looked fimiliar but this was a flatbed dually.

After a few hours searching here its not adding up. My door just says M1028 and not M1028 a2 or a3 ??

What have I actually got ??

Its got a 6.2 and a Np208 case. This truck has no spacers etc.. and the truck ( or at least the axles came from gm as a dually.

Do I have the wrong axles or possibly the wrong door ???

Anyway this post is getting long so Ill stop here.

Let the speculation begin.

nyceguy01

Only pic I have at the moment. I took a bunch more but the cam isnt talking to my computer for some reason tonight.

This is the one the owner sent me before I went and got it. lol

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it has the 208 it is an A3. Someone put the flatbed on it (probably fire dept).

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of possibilities, but given no rear sway bar is visible, I would say it was converted using civvy parts into a dually. Is it a 14-bolt, or a Dana 70HD? Check to see if the rear has a locker.

nyceguy01

14 bolt and yes to the locker and 4.56 gears.

Has the 208 case.

I didnt see a sway bar on the rear but there is a load lever for the rear brakes. Ive never seen one on a chevy before.

Basically everything I read says its an A3 except the door plaque that just says M1028.

I think Maybe I just got the wrong door
????

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swaybar is only on 2x4 trucks IIRC. If it was a 1028A2 or -A3 it should have a dana 70 in the back. Take a multitude of pics and post the VIN so we can try to figure this out.Perhaps someone just added spacers to a srw axle. Whatever it is, you stole it.

nyceguy01

It actually gets a little better. After I charged the battery all night she fired right up today. The trans shifts good and all the 4wd etc.. seems to be working.

I drove it about 10 miles this afternoon and it drives as good as my 96 1-ton.

None of the turnsignals worked untill I saw the all off by the headlight switch and then everything magically started working.

I was told that the fire dept that owned this one had several trucks so I think Mine jas some mix-and-match repair jobs under its belt. lol

Im starting to think maybe the axles were swapped in from another M truck when it outlived its usefullness.

vin---1gcgd34jxef362395

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In one of the manuals (awhile ago) I read that some of the 1028A3's were converted M1028A1's. Mine is a little different too; Dana 70HD 4.56's newer door but cab plate has correct load capacity. 4 Coil-over shocks and overload springs on the front. Also had the heavy duty bed tie downs. The really wierd thing is SRW front tires. :shock:

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The VIN is M1008/M1008A1.
14-bolt rear is only on SRW trucks. Dana 70HD is in the M1028A2/A3.
A2/A3 trucks have rear swaybar
M1028A2's are converted M102A1's, which are converted M1031's
M1028A3's are converted M1028's.

I doubt it has the extra overload spring on the rear axle above the rest of the spring pack?

The military bastardized a lot of trucks when they made dually's, but the correct ones have a short list of unique features that don't seem to be present on this truck... :(

1stDeuce

Looks like spacers on the back, as I can't see the center of the hubs protruding like they should on a 14 bolt. I have 2" spacers on mine to get the track equal, but they'd allow duals too.

Me likes it's "younger brother"!!! Box on mine is... er, used... A flatbed with removable low sides would be cool!! Particularly if I could make the sides fold down to add width to haul two sleds like my deck!

Enjoy your new truck!
C

Attachments

nyceguy01

If you like the little brother youre about to like it even more. lol

These pics are a little old. It now runs twin turbos and makes just over 550hp at the rear tires. By far the best towrig Ive ever driven. It rides like a cadillac ( full rear air susoension and Ifs front ) and it has pulled everything I have been able to hook up to.

Next on the red one is some beadlocks, tires, shorter wheelbase, and a bunch of trailtime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks