• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Occasional Starting Problem

monkeythumbs

I just purchased a M1009 a few weeks ago, and have a small issue with it that has shown up recently. The truck won't start after short trips, I could go outside and it'll start up right now, go to WalMart come out, it won't start. I've searched/read through other threads on here and I haven't found a CUCV thread addressing the problem similar to mine. People have suggested to replace the starter , but I'm a little hesitate in doing that till I've heard from the hive on what they think.

Another favor, could someone possibly PM the -20, I've tried to download it from JATONKA and it says that there a problem with opening it, and the TM's are down on this site too.

*UPDATE* I did find a similar issue thread as I was starting this one, but if you could comment on my problem it would be greatly appreciated and if someone could PM the -20 or point me in the direction of somewhere else I could download it that would be great too.

Eventually I'll post some pics up, and I just purchased Goodyear DuraTracs for it, love them so far.

Thanks for the help.

Iceman3005

What do you me it won't start e.g. it won't crank or it cranks but won't fire? If it cranks but won't fire check glow plugs, make sure there working. Check for loose wires, broken wires etc. at the Injection pump. Then check to make sure your getting fuel, maybe a clogged fuel filter. Check air filter also. If it doesn't crank could be bad starter or a bad relay under dash, maybe a bad fuse, or dead batteries.

monkeythumbs

Iceman3005 I will get into the truck turn the key and wait for the glow plugs to stop drawing power ( Dash Light is Inop ) and turn the key to start. Nothing happens the other lights stay on, no flicker, no sound from the starter, nothing this is after I have run an errand or something . I try to start it later on and it will start. I have a few months to trouble shoot this thing, then I was going to make it my daily driver . Trying to solve problems and get her running right in the mean time . I'v only had this truck for 2 weeks and the problem didn't show up till last sunday.

monkeythumbs

Mistaken1 I have downloaded the -10 and tried the -20. When I opened it up it said that my computer couldn't read or something like that. Found a link on here and opened it and then my computer wouldn't let me save it. I'll keep looking for a good file that I can save to my computer, haven't found one yet. It's probally my computer giving me fits and not the files , it acts up from time to time. Not in a rush to fix it, just an annoying problem. I have seen where you've posted the same info up for other people in the past, thanks for doing it for me too.

Iceman3005

sounds like relay under dash is going bad, its located right of steering column under dash, will have four large wires going to it, I don't know the napa part number for the new relay.

197thhhc

You need to check for high resistance in the starter wire. You could also tap test the starter. When it wont crank have someone hold the key in the crank position and get under the truck and "tap" the starter with a hammer. If it starts to crank you have a dead spot in the starter or solinoid. You can do a voltage drop test on the starter wire also Useing a multimeter. Put the meters ground wire on your alt mounting bolt and put the lead wire on your stater lug. Then crank and watch the meter you should have a 12 volt reading any thing less and the wire is bad. you can do this on the ground side also a voltage drop test is much better than just checking resistance. Ted

Iceman3005

:ditto:197thhhc
here's part number

AC40 (stock) - For a more dependable starting system, update your starter system with the Doghead Relay upgrade. This replaces the subpar relay with a heavy duty relay. It will save your starter from burning up. NAPA# SME 7018601.

monkeythumbs

If anybody would want to know, here's an update :

Did the doghead starter relay Mod......same problem still
Replaced the Glow Plug Relay.....still same problem
Replaced the burnt out glow plug light in the dash...still same problem

Will look into replacing the starter next week.

Mistaken1 pointed me in the right spot to download the -20, but alais I'm techinally challenge. I can replace parts, but wiring....not a chance.

Will post up if I found out what the problem actually is.

mistaken1

We do want to know.

Wiring just takes patience, you can do it. Clean all of the connections that you touch to remove any corrosion and cover liberally with conductive or non-conductive grease as needed when you put them back together.

There was member on here who had light problems and it was a high resistance connection causing his problems.

motomacguyver

Also, a bad ground can often be an intermittent problem. Poking around with an Ohm meter will help.

You have my sympathies as the intermittent problems are the worst to find.

Last edited:

Vfflang

My brush truck at the fire department has a simliar problem cranks and starts no problem but after a call if you turn it off it won't restart...it will try to start but won't turn over usaully we have to wait for 30mins to an hour before we can get it to start...not sure whats wrong with it.

monkeythumbs

:cookoo:Finally got around to tapping on the starter this AM. Guess what ...it started, now to price starters and order one. Sure looks like a tight fit in there. I will update as I go, and when she is up and running right.

Barrman

Picking up the frame some makes for more room when getting the starter out. It will come right out without jacking anything up however.