• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil heater

Dmoser

Just bought an arctic fox oil pan heater due to toe cold climate. i was told by my parts guy at work that 10 minutes should be sufficient to heat the oil enough for a smooth crank over, however turns out that doesn't seem to be the case. is there a point where it becomes dangerous to leave the heater on too long and if so, what is it?

flyxpl

I don't think it could be left on too long . 10 minutes will do very little though . I would geuss an hour or two , but preferably plugged in after use to keep the oil warm until you use the truck again .

Gunner0311

I use the style that you install on the bottom of the oil pan(Wolverine brand) and in
cold weather(under 20 F) i give it several hours to do the job well. in very cold
temps(single digits and colder) I leave it plugged in overnight and it does not cause
any problem.

With the M52A2 I recently aquired I switched to Mobil 5W40 diesel motor oil in an
attempt to help things and get oil to the valves quicker when starting. I will drive the 5-Ton more than mu dueces this winter because 1. Has a Hard Top 2. Power
Steering and 3. Higher ground clearance with the 1100x20 tires....

:driver:

bushhawg73

According to the artic fox web site the heaters, when properly installed they may be operated continuously and typical operation time is 3 to 5 hours. It also talks of setting them up on a timer.